What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experimental Photographs, Criticism Welcomed

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
I have PLENTY of photos of splashes and stuff but all of them are either, noisy, blurry or really underexposed (due to the requirements of a fast shutter and the lack of light to fulfill them properly.)

so i moved away from the high shutter speed photography and used a bit of the imagination to come up with these:

FULL SIZE THEM PLEASE!

first two are underexposed i know this and i am post processing them.
IMGP5137.jpg
IMGP5138.jpg
IMGP5194.jpg
IMGP5201.jpg
IMGP5205.jpg
(deliberately underexposed that one ^)
IMGP5208.jpg
IMGP5212.jpg
IMGP5216.jpg
IMGP5217.jpg

ALL of them were taken with the subject in a full fish tank to get the effect and ABSOLUTELY NO Post processing was applied.

these are just experiments, and i understand composition may not be the best in the world (as always XD) but as for the effect and the idea, is it okay? please, shoot away at the comments good or bad, like i said they are experimental photos so I'm not too worried.

and no I'm not a Nazi, i liked the design of the knife, it's contours and stuff, and yes it's ornamental

doesn't really work for me

the dirty glass, and harsh purple lighting just kill any potential, plus a lot of them are pretty soft

the whole fish tank idea probably just wont work, unless you put a lot of effort into it, and even then it will only be about as good as the same shot without the fish tank

fair enough, i'm not sure what's going on about the softness, it's never usually like that :/ dirty fish tank? it's squeaky clean, could be the adhesive residue from the knife i suppose.

the harsh purple is the food coloring, I'll make sure i use a fresh tank full next time i try this, part of it is the whit balance program i used too, not the best but it showed the red up.

back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
there is a good chance your focusing is off when shooting through glass at it magnifys the subjects in the water and your camera thinks the knife\ bullet is actually where the glass is you would be better of shooting down into the tank.

you may have a point there hoogle :) i remember the same problem with my Kodak at the aquarium. either way, looking back on them, they arent that good, Dirtyknapkin has a point, the colours are too harsh and there's a few noise and exposure issues to deal with. looks like my next investments are some speedlights and a hotshoe flash

they will cause havoc in this project with glare etc. speedlights are hotshoe flashes. they just give you the option to be off camera via a remote or syn chord. as you seem to be leaning towards macro and rightfully so as your best images I have seen have been close ups you may be more interested in macro ring lighs that go around your lenses given smooth even lighting all around your subject. Yes Nikin speedlights are the best more so if you have a nikon camera but you can pick some good chinese versions up of ebay for around £30 they will be good enough for you almost 10X cheaper than nikon or cannon however they may not be as functional but 2 or 3 of them will be more useful to you as speedlights and a macro ring set up and still have change than if you bought a nikon speedlight. Thats my reccomendation + £7 for a set of reflectors these are good for reflecting light in to give fill light but also they make good backgrounds for macro work etc.

Back