What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exporting an image with transparency

gare

Power User
I had a very good question from a reader of the version 7 book. Apparently in chapter 4, you cannot merely draw a path around an image of a small stuffed chick in an image and then export it to Pagemaker or Illustrator with the "clipping mask" functioning. This was a last-minute change to the program I did not catch.

Here's what I recommended as a patch:

There is a difficult way to mask outside of the chick using Photoshop and Illustrator. First, you choose File, Export, Paths to Illustrator. Then, you open the Illustrator file in Illustrator, create a compound path out of the two paths, import the Chick.tif image, and then painstakingly align the clipping path with the chick in the image. You then select both image and compound path and choose Clipping Path. This is NOT fun!

The *easiest* way to create a bitmap that has a transparency around it is to use the Export Transparency Wizard. Here's the steps:

1. Open Chick.tif. Create a marquee outline around the chick by clicking on the Loads path as selection icon on the Paths palette.
2. On the Layers palette, right-click (Mac:Ctrl+click) and then choose Layer by Cut.
3. Choose Help, Export Transparent Image.
4. Just breeze through the dialog boxes. Choose Print for media type, and then choose TIFF 8-bit preview image when you get to that box, because an EPS file contains printing information and is pretty useless for onscreen placement without a high quality image header. Encoding doesn't make much difference, but ASCII is the most cross-platform compatible (and reliable but slow to process), and Binary is quickest when your maqchine and your service bureau run the same platform (eg: Mac to Mac, Windows to Windows).

Now, if you'd want to doodle around with the masked picture of the chick in Illustrator *without* a low res image header, choose Online in the Export Wizard, and choose the PNG file format. I did this with the attached image, and as you can see, the screen dump looks AOK.

My Best,
Gare

Erik

Guru
AND YOUR BOOK IS STILL NOT AVAILABLE IN THE SHOPS OVER HERE...(mumblegrumble)

I haven't got Illustrator (have Xara), but I followed a course in InDesign2. Now that is something I really like(d). For Quark, one does need clipping masks, but InDesign no: straight import of photoshop files.
(if my memory serves me well because after some six months I tend to forget even whom *I* was at the time...)

G

Erik said:
because after some six months I tend to forget even whom *I* was at the time...
Just a local alien with a free car wash... :D

gare

Power User
Yes indeed. and as for XARA...

Sorry. It is true that a Quark document needs a clipping path to import a TIFF image with transparency. You can also use the EPS import without the need for a clipping path.

And for XARA-ists, a png or a TIFF with an alpha channel will do just fine.

Yes, you can do this with a GIF file, too, but GIFs are limited to 256 colors.

Ewwww! :rofl:

My Best,
Gare

And Happy 2003!

wow Glare, good stuff :perfect:

Erik

Guru
Whoops... I always write clipping MASKS. Ahhhh!!! [saywhat]

Gaussian: this does sound familiar... [innocent]