What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exporting PNGs for FLASH import

scottscottscott

Hello Users....

I want to use a bmp in FLASH so that it preserves an elaborate shape (mask/channel). On the FLASH board, I was told to save it as a PNG with it's channel. I'm not sure how to do this or what further proceedures are. Does anyone know? Is there some "save as check box" I should select in ImageReady?

Thanks in advance...
Scott
:O)

welcome aboard Scott ........ sorry but this is one question I don't know I haven't saved a png
sfm

Hi Scott, welcome to the community, hope you enjoy your stay.

Not sure if it's essential to you for some reason Scott, but i'd suggest you use Photoshop to save out PNG files, not IR. The ONLY reason anyone would have for using IR nowadays, is if that want to create animated gifs. But for still images, use Photoshop.

After your graphic is created, turn off your default document Background layer. You should then just have your image layers, and some transparency showing. (the checkerboard pattern)

Under the FILE menu, choose "Save for Web...".
Within the settings dropdown menu there, change the format the "PNG-24". Click the "Transparency" checkbox.
Save the file where you want it. Done.

You'll notice, if you switch the format to PNG-8 for a second, that you get a halo of colour around the image. This is the same thing as is done when saving a GIF with transparency. Except the format is PNg instead. But the method for creating transparency is the same. The halo colour is the colour choosen from the "MATTE" dropdown menu.

TIP: make sure that your PNG image has at least 5 pixels of empty/unused space around the perimeter of the actual image. Don't crop the image right tight to the edges of the graphic elements.
Flash can have a tendancy to cut-off a couple of the edges of imported graphics. Having a 5 pixel unused area/margin around your overall image should ensure that the image itself remains uneffected if Flash does this.

And that should about do it for ya. [excited]
If you have any problems though, just say so.

Back