What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Post - Layer Issues

JohnM698

Hi.
First post here, I've been using LR for a while, and would like to get better with Photoshop (24.10). Following some online tutorials, I decide to try to tinker with the photo you see below, which I took in Venice. What I want to do is to increase the exposure around the gondolas, whilst leaving the building behind, exposed as normal.

20180113-P1000050.jpg

My process is as follows:
  1. I right-click on the photo in LR and select 'Open as a Smart Object in Photoshop'.
  2. I then click on new layer selector at the bottom, and choose to add an exposure layer.
  3. Then I click on the little rectangle entitled 'add vector mask' and a mask is duly added
    At this point, this is where something strange happens, and I cannot explain it. The vector mask is selected, but if I click on it, it deselects, and I am absolutely unable to select it again. That's the first strange thing. Moving on...
  4. Whilst the layer mask is selected, I adjust the exposure. But I only want the exposure adjustment to happen to the foreground, right? So, I then...
  5. .. select a brush. With the brush, I ensure that the colour is black, that the brush is the right size etc., and I brush across the top. White reveals, black conceals, yes? So I want to 'conceal' the adjustment layer at the top, and leave the buildings as they are.
    Nothing happens. The picture stays the way it is. It doesn't change at all. I tried quitting Photoshop and then restarting it with COMMAND + SHIFT + OPTION held down, and deleting the preferences file. Then I redid the steps above. Nothing.

Any advice you could give, would be welcome. What am I doing wrong? Is a vector layer mask not the same as an adjustment layer mask? Is there anything else I'm doing wrong?

Thank you.

layers0.png

Hello.

Don't add a "vector" mask.

Just use the layer mask on the adjustment layer. You may have to invert the layer mask by clicking/selecting the layer mask and hitting Cmd/Cntrl +I.
Then use a soft Brush (set to white) to add in the areas you wish to have a higher exposure.

Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 5.33.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 5.37.35 PM.png

Note about layer masks............

A white layer mask allows the layer it's on to be seen. Placing black on a white layer mask allows (reveals) the underlying layers to bleed through and to be seen.

A black layer mask allows the layer it's on to not be seen! Thereby, allowing any layer below it to be seen. Placing white on a black layer mask allows the underlying layers to be covered (conceals) up and not seen.

Hello.

Just use the layer mask on the adjustment layer. You may have to invert the layer mask by clicking/selecting the layer mask and hitting Cmd/Cntrl +I.
Then use a soft Brush (set to white) to add in the areas you wish to have a higher exposure.

View attachment 134628
View attachment 134629

I'm confused. I closed everything and re-opened the image in PS. Then I chose new layer and made it an exposure layer. My screen looks like the following:

Capture d’écran 2023-01-04 à 11.59.10.png

But when you say 'Just use the layer mask on the adjustment layer', there is no 'mask'. Or am I confusing masks and layers?

Actually, I just tried to paint over that layer and the paint tool did nothing.

There is either something wrong with my settings, or I am completely not getting it. Back to more YouTube videos ......

Hello.

OK .. I think I understand!

So I don't need to add 'vector masks' if all I want to do is to change exposure on all or part of an image! My reasoning was that if I wanted to change the exposure on the gondolas (for example), I had to have a mask on top of the actual image, so that I could 'poke a hole' through it and limit change to one section.

Thank you. My photo now looks like the screenshot below. It's not a great photo to begin with. I just chose it as it was very dark, and I wanted to practice with masks etc.

Thank you again, you have helped enormously! Capture d’écran 2023-01-04 à 12.16.04.png

Back