What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Flyout Menus" Problem

dubya

Lately I've been having problems with the "flyout menus" on my Layers, Actions, and Styles Palettes. If you are unsure what I'm referring to, it's the little arrow pointing toward the right that's on the top right of all the palettes, and gives you alternate options such as Loading Actions, Saving Actions, etc. . .

When I click on the arrow, it presses down and stays there, but the flyout menu doesn't open. I initially thought that since my computer generally runs slow (it only has 64MB RAM. . .an ancient beastie), it was just taking longer than usual to open. I have even clicked and then went and fixed a sandwich and when I returned, to my dismay, it remained in it's pressed down but not open state.

Does anyone have any ideas, hints, clues, or solutions as to why this is happening and what I can do to correct this problem. I can access my actions by right clicking on them and choosing Open With PS, but I'm out of luck on accessing the functions of my Styles Flyout Menu.

Thanks in advance,
~Dub

Wow uuum... well first off, never heard of this problem before. Second, you really do need a lot more than just 64meg ram. Not just for PS but for your OS in general. With the OS and any other TSR apps running in the bg, there's nothing left for PS to use. I wouldn't doubt it if this caused or started causing a lot of other problems and issues while using PS.

My advice is to upgrade your ram. Win98 can get away with just 64 meg ram... but then PS should also have at least 64 meg too. So 128 is my minimum suggested amount.

Like Mark said update the ram....... you should at the very least be able to get some second hand cheap....... get them to put it in and start up your system to make sure it is compatible (all ram is different!) it should cost you a takeaway meal - so miss out on one take away heh he he he

Now I had a weird thing happen to me..... but it was not the fly out menu but the layer styles....... this I would click and go and make a coffee before the screen came up....... I had to reinstall my ps..... now it works fine but boy did it bug me! [shhh]
sfm

wow. Yea, get more ram man. I have 320 mb of ram on my system. Doesn't ps require more than 64 mb in the first place??? I have so much ram cause I always have a ton of stuff open plus sometimes I put 300 mb or ram to terragen, and let the rest of the system run on 20 ram!!! The image quality comes out o good its to smoot and I usually end up throwing it away :D [oops] [innocent]

Sometimes wackiness like this has to do with a corrupted preferences file. You can get rid of it by holding down ctrl+shift+alt, while photoshop is booting up, then saying yes to the subsequent dialogue box(you won't lose your styles, actions, etc, but youll have to re-load them on your palette) Or you can go into windows explorer and delete prefs.psp, which is in your application data folder in windows. Photoshop will regenerate this file once you re-enter the program based on factory settings.

Back