What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Get Rid Of Half Colored Pixels

Kal-El

I am trying to make some buttons for my website, but Im running into a problem. I am putting a stroke on the text, giving it a solid color border. But for some reason in between the letters it give these pixels a "half colored" look. All I want is a solid border, is there a way to do that?

Yes and no.
Turn off anti-aliasing, and you will still always get a .02 feathering on any raster image. Just the nature of the beast, and designed to visually reduce sharp differentiations...

You can get a sharper line (somewhat) by using vector shapes and the pen tool, but may find the edges too sharp and jaggie on curved/diagonal lines...

As madster pointed out, this is a tricky subject.
Digital images are buit up out of units called "pixels", and it is only because these pixels are small enough and their density becomes quite high that our brain is tricked into believing we see solid forms.

A computer monitor is limited so 72 pixels in an inch. (some say Win PC have more, but that is still a question I haven't found a good answer for). This means that there are 72 small squares along the length and height of each inch you see on your monitor.
When drawing a diagonal, you obviously get a stair-stepped line. To reduce this effect, anti-aliasing was found out.

So when you work without anti-aliasing, you get a sharper line, but one that is stair-stepped. If you work with it, the line is indeed less sharp.
As always, this is a personal choice as Photoshop cannot change this basic problem.

note: that is why for print, people often use up to 300 pixels per inch. That way you will have crisp lines. Unfortunately, monitors do not allow this to be changed. :(

Welcome aboard Kal-El! :)

I hope that your question has been answered. ;)

Enjoy your time here!

Back