What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gig presentation

Tepazi

I'm making a presentation for a gig and I have a few questions about what's the best way to do it.
- what resolution should it be? 1440 X 900 pixels is good?
- can I make it with PS - file-automate-pdf presentation or it is better to do it with PowerPoint?
- should it be in a pdf format?

Thank you!

Hi @Tepazi
What you use for a tool to create a presentation also depends on your proficiency with a given tool. I know both PowerPoint and Photoshop and would choose PowerPoint for a presentation yet that is my personal opinion.
As far as resolution, there is a couple things to keep in mind. Are there going to be printed handouts or is this is a projected image type of presentation.
If using a digital projector, having an aspect ratio that is close to the projectors aspect ratio can be helpful.
If you are having printed output of the presentation, having a final ppi between 150/inch is usually sufficient unless you are including high resolution graphics in which case 300 ppi should do.

If you are making something for print, just leverage that directly for the projected version as well. I would not invest time for two different version of the presentation.
Just my opinions and hope that is helpful.
John Wheeler

Hi @Tepazi
In general though
- If you are created a project to be delivered to the customer, the customer is the one that should specify the resolution they need for the project. They would either be able to tell you or with some basic information you could figure it out from the advice I already provided in asking you
- If this is a presentation to your customer online, then the presentation should accomodate the resolution of their viewing device.

Maybe another forum member will have a more specific recommendation for you.
Best wishes on your gig/project
John Wheeler

@Tepazi,
I've been following this thread and you seem to be hung up on the pixel dimensions of your presentation. John Wheeler provided some good guidance. As John covered above, the specific answer to your question depends on how your presentation will be viewed by your audience. To me, there are three broad possibilities:
  1. Your presentation will be printed on paper and handed-out to the audience.
  2. Your presentation will be delivered on-line, where each recipient can view it on his/her individual computer screen.
  3. Your presentation will be projected onto a big screen in an auditorium or conference room.
Each of these three delivery methods will have a different answer; a different set of criteria for how to best construct your presentation. For example:
  • If printed on paper, then pixel dimensions are not very relevent. You would want your presentation to be sized to match the size of the paper, in inches. If printed, you will also need to be aware of print resolution (dots per inch). If your presentation contains photographs, then you will need at least 300 dpi. If it's text only, you can get away with a lower ppi resolution.
  • If the presentation will be viewed on individual computer screens, then the pixel dimensions should roughly match the average size (aspect ratio) of a monitor. 1440 x 900 seems reasonable here.
  • If the presentation will be projected onto a screen in front of an audience, then, as John says, you should tailor the dimensions to match the projector and/or screen.
As far as which software to use, you have not described the content of your presentation, so it's difficult to say. In general, here are some thoughts:
  • Photoshop is a powerful photo editing tool. If you are not doing any fancy photo editing then Photoshop seems cumbersome for making presentations.
  • Powerpoint is specifically designed for presentations, so without knowing any details, that seems like the best choice.
  • If you have concerns that somebody in your audience might alter your presentation after you've distributed it, then you might consider first creating it in Powerpoint, but then saving it as a PDF document for final audience distribution. Powerpoints can be altered; PDF's cannot.
Hope this is helpful.

Back