What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HARD EDGE BRUSH

NDG2911

Is it possible to make a hard edge brush in photoshop? I have my brush set to 100% hardness but it still has a soft edge. I'd like a brush the only paints in 1 colour no extra 'soft' pixels

This question has been posed to Adobe many times over the years!

This is a bug that has been known for years and that Adobe doesn't want to fix.
That's because Adobe doesn't consider the issue a "bug". As I vaguely remember, when previously asked over the years, they have claimed it's an inherent property of the tool related to the rastor nature of Ps. That it's a brush and not a vector based shape tool.

I'm not certain that the Pencil Tool will be much better! Depends on your personal expectations!

One click comparison. Zoomed
left - Brush Tool/100% hardness
right - Shape/Ellipse Tool
bottom - Pencil Tool/50% smoothing. Sharper but more "jaggy/aliased".
Screen Shot 2024-03-01 at 8.34.11 AM.png

Stroke Comparison. Zoomed
Top - Brush Tool/100% Hardness
Bottom - Pencil Tool
Screen Shot 2024-03-01 at 8.50.24 AM.png

Top - Pencil Tool
Bottom - Rectangle Tool/Shape
Screen Shot 2024-03-01 at 8.56.51 AM.png

Strokes sampled.
Top - Brush Tool
Middle - Pencil Tool
Screen Shot 2024-03-01 at 8.57.53 AM.png

Thanks for this detailed explanation.

For me I need that hard edge the pencil creates as I'm creating screens for rotary printing. I'm limited to 12 colours and can't have any stray pixels. Normally I would use Illustrator and vector graphics, but sometimes if just doesn't give the right effect and looks too clean.

This question has been posed to Adobe many times over the years!

That's because Adobe doesn't consider the issue a "bug". As I vaguely remember, when previously asked over the years, they have claimed it's an inherent property of the tool related to the rastor nature of Ps. That it's a brush and not a vector based shape tool.

I'm not certain that the Pencil Tool will be much better! Depends on your personal expectations!

One click comparison. Zoomed
left - Brush Tool/100% hardness
right - Shape/Ellipse Tool
bottom - Pencil Tool/50% smoothing. Sharper but more "jaggy/aliased".
View attachment 143142

Top - Brush Tool/100% Hardness
Bottom - Pencil Tool
View attachment 143143

Top - Pencil Tool
View attachment 143145

Strokes sampled.
Top - Brush Tool
Middle - Pencil Tool
View attachment 143146

Thanks for this detailed explanation.

For me I need that hard edge the pencil creates as I'm creating screens for rotary printing. I'm limited to 12 colours and can't have any stray pixels. Normally I would use Illustrator and vector graphics, but sometimes if just doesn't give the right effect and looks too clean.
Hi @NDG2911

I think the pencil tool will cover it for you, yet you have to be careful about some of the settings that can mess up your colors and add transparency or change color, e.g.:

- Pencil Mode (blend) settings that are other than Normal
- Some Brush settings in the Brush setting panel cush as Transfer and Color Dynamics
- Layer Blend mode other than Normal
- Layer Styles being set
- Layer masks

You probably have that all covered in your workflow, yet I wanted to share this information for added completeness for others who may read this thread, as even when using the pencil tool, there are quite a few ways that can still create a soft edge or not solid color.

John Wheeler

Back