What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help for repeat pattern thank you

littlefishh

Hi there I would like to make a print for a garment but I can't figure out how to make this drawing into a repeat pattern on photoshop.
It would need to be printed in a bit bigger then 1 meter.
Thank you so much, this would be so helpful green1.jpg

Hello:
This is something I had to dig into. One problem that became immediate is that when you repeated the above image, the cut off images would create a seam.
So you would get something like this:

repeating patrtern 75.jpg

The lack of continuity of the illustrations - ie where they're cut off - creates a visual seam.
Here is a closeup:

repeating patrtern 100 closeup.JPG
The pattern also has a repeat that may be disturbing. So the first challenge is really to alter the pattern.

I quickly played with this by duplicating the image, flipped it both horizontally and vertically, and placed it next to the original.
Then I repaired the most visual seams with the spot repair tool. Then merged into a single layer.
Here is what I created:

1614901066616.png

Once I have that document created, I go to Edit - Define Pattern which opens a dialog box like this:

1614901202375.png

Name the pattern however you'd like - I just named it "repeating pattern doubled"
Click OK. It's now saved as a pattern

Now open a new document in the size you want. You mentioned 1 meter long so that's what I did - actually I made it 39 inches wide X 11 inches high:

1614901573542.png

No go down to the bottom of your layers panel and click on the round half moon icon:

1614902049352.png

Youll get a dialog box like this - if you don't see your pattern, just click on the image until you get the one you want. I've found that it will usually open in the last pattern created:

1614902368470.png

The document will fill, but if you change the scale number down to say 50% (you can only go down in numbers), you end up here:

1614902489226.png

Here's what it would look like at 25%

1614902920060.png

In a sense, by amending the original pattern, we created a randomness. Also repaired the seams as best as we could.

Others may jump in with additional insights. As I mentioned, it was my first attempt.

This video may give you some additional insights based on your skill level:

I hope this helps to get your started.

- Jeff

Hi again:

Noticed that part of my instruction was left out.
Where I wrote that you should go down to the adjustment icon in the layer stack, you should then choose "Pattern:

So section should read like this:

1614947209241.png
Then choose "Pattern" - should be third choice from top if you're in PS 2018

1614947633333.png

Then just continue to follow the instructions. My apologies if you were confused....

- Jeff

Back