What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with 3D boxes

launok

Good day to all! :)

I have joined as in only a few minutes ago but as a newbie in Photoshop, I definitely need help.

I am making for the 1st time 3D model freebies which I want to share. The textures part is at this point very important. A model without proper textures will not catch anyone's eyes. Ok, I have tried my own created textures in Photoshop CC 2016 but they need to have a more realistic touch. And this is where I, as a new user of Photoshop, need more in depth training to get these results.

Attach are 2 freebies I have made with their textures. These 2 boxes just look too plain to offer. I want to give each of them a kind of glossy effect as those you buy in stores. And the 'donut' box have currently an open space. I need to fill that part with a piece of transparent plastic to make it realistic.

Can anyone explain how I can add a glossy effect to all sides of the boxes (obviously I need to do this on the original textures in Photoshop) and

Any help will be most appreciated. :)

Kind regards

Laura

image_82218.jpg

LAUNOK'S DONUT BOX 1.jpg

Hello.

These images are only 1200px x 563px at 72ppi. These are fairly small, do you have them in their original sizes?

Were the donuts on the box fronts meant to be square or is this a mistake?

Are those open boxtops on the donut boxes or hanging tabs?

A gloss sheen would not be present on ALL sides of the boxes, they would only appear on the surfaces facing a strong light source.

Adding a glossy "sheen" effect is easily implied by creating a new layer and using a boundary selection created with the Pen Tool, and a few diffuse brush strokes with the Brush Tool and the color white.

Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 11.54.39 AM.png

As the effect is on it's own layer, make it strong and use the opacity to adjust to your liking.
Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 11.57.35 AM.png

And you're not limited to the type of highlight.....
Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 12.14.50 PM.png

Maybe a simple gradient......
Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 6.52.39 PM.png

Were the donuts on the box fronts meant to be square or is this a mistake?

Are those open boxtops on the donut boxes or hanging tabs?

It is suppose to be hanging tabs. It's a model I made in Sketchup.

Thank you for your help! It is much appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant the original renderings and not the images before they were applied to the model. It really doesn't matter as I have addressed your question.

Back