What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with Clone Tool Options

Hudson

Recently I lost the ALIGN check box on the Clone Stamp Tool options bar. It is normally like this:
Align_ON.jpg
... and now it's like this. Also the words "Mode:" and "Sample:" have disappeared.
Align_OFF.jpg
When I reset to the default settings (preferences), it's all back to normal.
I regularly backup the files in "C:\Users\Hudson\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings" - just in case.
When I restore my own preferences to the above folder, the ALIGN check box is gone again. Does anyone know which file in the preferences contains the offending change?
Much appreciated if you can help.

thebestcpu

Guru
HI @Hudson
I think you have the right location and here is a link to an Adobe page with all the file locations for different settings:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preference-file-names-locations-photoshop.html

I also might be that the version you are restoring is already corrupted and you might have to rebuild and save a new Preferences file from scratch (i.e. thow away the corrupted version)

Not sure this is the issue yet its more than you specific settings yet also the User Interface that is corrupted.
John Wheeler

Hudson

HI @Hudson
I think you have the right location and here is a link to an Adobe page with all the file locations for different settings:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preference-file-names-locations-photoshop.html

I also might be that the version you are restoring is already corrupted and you might have to rebuild and save a new Preferences file from scratch (i.e. thow away the corrupted version)

Not sure this is the issue yet its more than you specific settings yet also the User Interface that is corrupted.
John Wheeler
Thanks John, much appreciated. I'll check out the link and go from there. I managed to restore a previous set of preferences and make a few changes so all is good. I have many backed up preferences, I do it on e regular basis - because of these types of occurrences. My main concern was how the heck it happened :)

thebestcpu

Guru
Thanks John, much appreciated. I'll check out the link and go from there. I managed to restore a previous set of preferences and make a few changes so all is good. I have many backed up preferences, I do it on e regular basis - because of these types of occurrences. My main concern was how the heck it happened :)
Hi @Hudson
I don't know how it happened yet can give you an educated guess. PS is a very complex program and though it is not common, it is possible to get it in a state that will not correct itself unless you reset a tool, reset all tools, or reset preferences. That is often referred to as Preferences file was corrupted. A true corrupted file on a disk would become unreadable. This type of corruption is having it in a readable state that keeps PS stuck. To me, that is a software bug. That type of bug is very hard to track down unless one knows the exact steps they took that created the problem and that those steps can be repeated with the same problem occurring. In my opinion, resetting Preferences is a workaround for a software bug(s).

Unless a lot of customers experience the issue where is is really annoying, it may be low on the list to track down and fix.
I would encourage you to post your problem so Adobe at least has it on their list. If they see a number of customers with the same issue it might get attention.

The link for reporting such bugs (and also wishes) is at: Reporting Bugs to Adobe
John Wheeler

Hudson

Hi @Hudson
I don't know how it happened yet can give you an educated guess. PS is a very complex program and though it is not common, it is possible to get it in a state that will not correct itself unless you reset a tool, reset all tools, or reset preferences. That is often referred to as Preferences file was corrupted. A true corrupted file on a disk would become unreadable. This type of corruption is having it in a readable state that keeps PS stuck. To me, that is a software bug. That type of bug is very hard to track down unless one knows the exact steps they took that created the problem and that those steps can be repeated with the same problem occurring. In my opinion, resetting Preferences is a workaround for a software bug(s).

Unless a lot of customers experience the issue where is is really annoying, it may be low on the list to track down and fix.
I would encourage you to post your problem so Adobe at least has it on their list. If they see a number of customers with the same issue it might get attention.

The link for reporting such bugs (and also wishes) is at: Reporting Bugs to Adobe
John Wheeler
Cheers for that John. I am used to seeing different bugs with Photoshop, I've been using it since 1992. The resetting of the tools didn't fix the problem so backdating to a previously saved prefs file did the trick. If I could replicate the error, I would but I'll just have to keep an eye on it and see if it happens again. Thanks again.