What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help with CMYK mode

wcohan

Lets say I want use Photoshop 6 to give all my .png files CMYK properties, is that possible? If so, can you provide the steps? Thanx for any help you may provide.

wcohan .. don't think so ... because I opened a .png file in PS I went to image>mode and clicked (ticked) cymk ... so far so good ... but when I went to save as there was no .png option .... don't take this as the definitive answer as there still may be a way to do it ...

Welcome aboard wcohan! ;)

To convert your files to CMYK:
Image/Mode/CMYK

Use the "Save for web" command... where you have PNG options! ;)
namvet, I believe that this is where you went wrong. ;)

CMYK colours cannot be seen on a monitor. Photoshop only shows an approximate preview. Web is ALWAYS RGB. So there is no use saving a cmyk file as a png.

Yes, you can turn any kind of RGB into a CMYK. Better do this at the end of the line because o,nly a printer works with it. And be prepared to get much duller colours. This is inevitable.
But there are so many options that you have to choose without making mistakes that you better eitehr buy a good book on the subject or talk personally to a real pro you know. CMYK is only used for commercial printing, and this means: loads of money. So one mistake and...boom...you're finished.
Better be warned.

Great...

... point by Erik.

Never turn anything into CMYK until you are done with your project (but still keep an RGB copy.) because you narrow your colour range (gamut) by doing so. Some printing processes (+6 inks) will do better printing from RGB than CMYK. That RGB copy might come in handy...

Hi Risto, welcome here! Your reputation has preceeded you, but I'd appreciate it a LOT if you would post one, or some of your works in the Show_Board. Xara is of course also accepted. Question of giving people an idea who you are (what you do).

Erik I had a look at Risto's site several hours ago ... impressive work :perfect: ... he also mixes imagination and humour :D ... he really should tag all his posts with his url :)

Back