What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with Text Curving

DylanDagger

Hello all,

I was a member of these boards 10 years ago then stopped playing with Photoshop for a while and just getting back into it, I was never great but half decent. I used to be able to look at something and have a fair idea how to replicate that effect.

Generally I would do parody of movie posters etc and would play with the text to change it

Attached I have the Queen Album cover for Flash Gordon - what i have been able to do is;

-Download the 'Splash Gordon' Font
-Type out the words
-Use the colour gradient (but when I tilt the text the gradient messes up?)

What I am facing challenges with is;

-The height of the text looks more longer and slimmer than normal - what is the tool or technique for doing this Iv forgottent :(
-How to get correct Warp Text button to achieve the curve of Flash Gordon where the letters start large, get smaller then large again, in an upward curve but without the letters tilting. I can do a basic curve but the letters are slanted?
Not sure which option and combo it is Arch, Arc Lower, Arc Bulge, Shell, Flag etc then the combo of Bend, Horizontal and Vertical distortion - the more I play with the options the further away from the original I get haha

Not sure if I am making sense but any help would be greatly appreciated - thank you all again for any contribution or steer me in the right direction with my learning :)

*Also is this effect best achieved by having the words FLASH and GORDON as two seperate layers and manipulate individually, or is it best to do one layer with spacing in between the two words?

Thank You

Dylan

Queen Cover flash-gordon.jpg

This is a quick example so it's NOT perfect. You take your time.
Also this font is too short, It would need to be taller.

Create your text on separate layers.
"Flash" on one and "Gordon" on another.
Position words.
Add a Gradient overlay in a layer style. Duplicate the Gradient overlay layer style to second text layer.
Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.35.06 AM.png

Select both type layers and duplicate.
Merge the duplicated type layers into one. This will also rastorize the type.
Turn off original type layers.

On the newly duplicate and merged type layer, enter free transform mode.
Rotate and skew. (Note: Use guidelines to make sure your vertical lines are straight......I didn't in this example.)
Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.33.29 AM.png

Hit the arch icon.
Use custom.
Adjust the bottom curve to suit.
Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.34.07 AM.png

Now add a stroke to the layer using a layer style.
Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 8.34.54 AM.png

This is a quick example so it's NOT perfect. You take your time.
Also this font is too short, It would need to be taller.

Create your text on separate layers.
"Flash" on one and "Gordon" on another.
Position words.
Add a Gradient overlay in a layer style. Duplicate the Gradient overlay layer style to second text layer.
View attachment 119380

On the newly duplicate and merged type layer, enter free transform mode.
Rotate and skew. (Note: Use guidelines to make sure your vertical lines are straight......I didn't in this example.)
View attachment 119381

Hit the arch icon.
Use custom.
Adjust the bottom curve to suit.
View attachment 119382

Now add a stroke to the layer using a layer style.
View attachment 119383

What the actual hell?? - This might be the most wholesome and helpful forum on the internet that actually sets out to help new members - im not used to this

Thanks you so so much IamSam thats awesome really appreciate it!!

@IamSam - I was trying to replicate what you had described. Haven't done this with type before.
What I didn't understand:

Can't you just create two type layers with gradients, then rasterize the layer effects, rasterize the type, and merge?

1615159672124.png

Why the additional duplicated layers? Maybe I'm missing something...

- Jeff

Can't you just create two type layers with gradients, then rasterize the layer effects, rasterize the type, and merge?
Yep.

Why the additional duplicated layers? Maybe I'm missing something...
I must apologize.................I never destroy work! Rasterizing layer effects and then the type is destructive editing. I always duplicate the layers and then merge/rasterize........leaving the originals intact just in case I need them. I may need to come back and change the position or color of the gradient. Saving the original type layers would save additional work if changes needed to be made.

This is also why I stated that you "turn the original type layers off". But you don't have to do this step if you don't want to!

I would probably use smart objects on a project such as this to keep everything editable.

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 6.55.04 PM.png

Here, instead of duplicating, I converted the two type layers into a Smart Object. I used the same free transform on the SO layer. Now I can make easy changes to the type in the PSB file if needed.

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 6.55.12 PM.png

I must apologize.................I never destroy work! Rasterizing layer effects and then the type is destructive editing. I always duplicate the layers and then merge/rasterize........leaving the originals intact just in case I need them. I may need to come back and change the position or color of the gradient. Saving the original type layers would save additional work if changes needed to be made.
This is also why I stated that you "turn the original type layers off". But you don't have to do this step if you don't want to!

No apologies necessary. Now I understand. Having not played much with type in Photoshop, seems a good practice.
Thanks as always for your skill and guidance!
- Jeff

Back