What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I add an inner glow wherever I want?

colbykeyz

Hi I am new to photoshop. I want to add an inner glow border around parts of my image. I want the border to look like the first picture attached (border1.jpg). I want that same border around where I drew pink on the second image attached (border.jpg).

border1.jpg

border.jpg

Hi colbykeyz

It was not crystal clear of your specific request yet the answer is yes. There is a way to put an inner glow or any Layer Style where ever you want. I will go through the steps here yet I made some assumptions about your specific request yet my instructions should help you no matter what.

I am assuming that you want an inner glow associated with the 3 "X's marked in the following image:

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 7.49.12 PM.png

To do this add a blank Layer above your original image and add three solid areas in the exact location of the three areas. This can be done in many different ways. I made three rectangular selections for those three areas and did a fill. Color does not matter nor if you use a pattern. The example I used is with a pattern shown below. All that is important is that the area between the new 3 solid areas is transparent:

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 10.09.37 AM.png

On this top Layer (the one I filled with an arbitrary pattern) you open up Layer Styles on that Layer by double clicking on the right side of that Layer in the Layer panel and select the desired Layer Style. In this particular case I did chose Inner Glow with black color (so it will show up better) and size of 62 (adjust to taste)

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 8.01.20 PM.png

Now all you have to do with this top Layer selected is to turn the "Fill Opacity" down to zero and all you left with is the inner glow in the desired location as shown below.
I turned back on the lower layer so you can see it in place. Hope this helps
John Wheeler

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 8.05.25 PM.png

Pretty much needless to add, but John used Black for the inner glow. If you need White like your initial image, just select White and settings below are only suggestions.
24.png

Back