What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I brush in shadows over text?

colbykeyz

I am trying to make some shadows on the bottom part of my text. The text is on its own layer but when I use a black brush tool, it messes up everything. I have tried messing with the brush opacity but nothing works.

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 3.38.08 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The text is on its own layer but when I use a black brush tool, it messes up everything.
You have to add the shadow on it's own layer below the text layer. If you add it to the text layer, it will try to add the layer style (bevel & emboss).

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I just want it to effect my text not my backround
Then place it on a layer above the text layer and make a selection of the text to keep the shadowing confined if needed.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Since I have no idea as to what it might be that you're trying to achieve, I can only offer these two examples.

One

With a new layer above the text layer and using the text as a selection to constrain/confine the shading/shadowing...
Selection
Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 7.11.01 PM.png
Brushed in shading...
Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 7.12.56 PM.png
Result..
Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 7.16.46 PM.png

Two

With a new layer above the text layer and just the Brush Tool....
Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 7.13.28 PM.png