What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Can I Make It Look Like This?

Hello! Im new to photoshop and I have set a challenge to me to make me look (hopefully) exactly like caveira from rainbow six (any fan here?? ;) )
Today I started this project and I have finally managed to make the basics such as the background, some of the face paint and some light, but I cant find a way to mimic the lights, bloom, gloss, shadows and different tones on the colors as the picture.
Any ideas on how to turn this:

boiho.jpg

Into this?:

maxresdefault.jpg
(I guess some of the problems would be corrected with some blur)
Thankss!! x)

Attachments

• boiho.jpg
    boiho.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • ScreenShot_20171112174112.jpeg
    ScreenShot_20171112174112.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 0
Hello and welcome to PSG.

As I have said before, this is a large project for someone new to Photoshop. There are many different and somewhat advanced techniques that need to be applied here. I find that most who take on such an endeavor will become frustrated and abandon the project. You might consider starting with something a little less challenging so you can get a sense of accomplishment when you get good results............just a thought.

But we are here to help. I believe that your sample image is a digital painting and not a subject who was Photoshopped.

It appears as though you staged the photograph of your subject. You failed to recreate the strong lighting from the upper right side and the strong back-lighting. So we will need to go back to the beginning and attempt to create the lighting in your photo so that it will match the lighting of the sample image.

Can you post the original image of your subject photo? (not the sample image) Or your PSD file as long as it contains the original sized subject photo?

Hello and welcome to PSG.

As I have said before, this is a large project for someone new to Photoshop. There are many different and somewhat advanced techniques that need to be applied here. I find that most who take on such an endeavor will become frustrated and abandon the project. You might consider starting with something a little less challenging so you can get a sense of accomplishment when you get good results............just a thought.

But we are here to help. I believe that your sample image is a digital painting and not a subject who was Photoshopped.

It appears as though you staged the photograph of your subject. You failed to recreate the strong lighting from the upper right side and the strong back-lighting. So we will need to go back to the beginning and attempt to create the lighting in your photo so that it will match the lighting of the sample image.

Can you post the original image of your subject photo? (not the sample image) Or your PSD file as long as it contains the original sized subject photo?
Hello!
Thanks for the prompt answer :)
The subject is me and heres the original:
IMG_20171111_110545.jpg
(there is no original for the second picture)
Ill olaso give the PSD file but its edited.
(unfortunatelly the file is large thats why you can download it from here:
https://ufile.io/td94u )
Ohh and how do you make the lighting??
Thanks!

It may take me awhile as I need to see if we can even work with this image. Did you enlarge the original? It appears to be very grainy. Did you make any changes to the original?

I have set a challenge to me to make me look (hopefully) exactly like caveira from rainbow six
Bearing this in mind...................it's my opinion that you will never achieve adequate results with the subject image (of yourself) your trying to use for this project.

This a very quick attempt at re-creating the original lighting without the face paint. In just what I've done here, it would take pages of written explanation to describe in detail what you would need to do just to get to this point. So I think I will bow out and hope that someone else will step in and go through the process with you.

Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 2.18.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 5.25.45 PM.png

Last edited:
Bearing this in mind...................it's my opinion that you will never achieve adequate results with the subject image (of yourself) your trying to use for this project.

This a very quick attempt at re-creating the original lighting without the face paint. In just what I've done here, it would take pages of written explanation to describe in detail what you would need to do just to get to this point. So I think I will bow out and hope that someone else will step in and go through the process with you.

View attachment 80302
Wow the lighting part looks good though. (It would be awesome if the light were green and over the edited one I guess :p ) How did you do it?
Thank you very much! :)
If anyone else wants to help me out would be very appreciated!

Thanks that looks great! :)
Today I had a shower though. What if we copy the face from the reference picture and directly adjust it to the subjects (my) face?? It would be extremely easier and more accurate instead of creatingy own mask, and I think with the right adjustments such as warping and fading would look pretty good. What do you think??

Well..........if your going to do that, then why bother with the challenge. You already have the reference image done for you! Kind of defeats the purpose of the project, don't you think?

Just curious.............what does taking a shower have to do with this?

I get creative under the shower : p
Well, my target is to make the subject look exactly like the reference. If its easier and better to do, why not? But will it look realistic? How can I work with it so it wont look too fake?

Well, my target is to make the subject look exactly like the reference. If its easier and better to do, why not? But will it look realistic? How can I work with it so it wont look too fake?
You will have a very hard time making your reference look real. You can make it look painted, but not real.

Sorry it has taken me awhile to get back on this, I had to complete another project. I just wanted to elaborate that with the right reference and lighting, you can achieve results like this........

Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 5.21.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 5.21.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-19 at 5.21.36 PM.png

I could have added all the streaks in the skin folds, but I was just doing this quickly to demonstrate.

Back