What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I print the exact size on CS6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrNOOB2020

Does anyone know how to can print these exact circle size on a letter size (8.5 x 11) on Photoshop CS6? I'm pretty sure there's a settings somewhere in the printing settings, but I couldn't find it.
I was able to do it on Microsoft Works by pasting only one single circle there and adjust the object size. But in my case, I want 4 circles at a pattern. It seems complicated. Please help. ...see photo attachment for more detail. Thanks.

CircleSize1.jpg

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi mrNOOB2020
All you should have to do is for the height and width type in "1.18 in"
So with the "in" postfix instead of "px" postfix
and then click on the screen where you want the circle.
I get a confirmation screen of the size and also if the placement is to be the center point where it was clicked

Of course you did not mention which version of PS you are using so that may make a difference.
Hope this helps (If I understood your question)
John Wheeler

mrNOOB2020

Sorry. I'm using Photoshop CS6 13.0, 64bit..if this helps? :|

However, while on this topic, how specific is to adjust the circle size? Because I actually want a very specific size, like 1.1875 inch. Can Photoshop CS6 able to do this? After typing 1.1875 into the ellipse tool entry, it auto correct to 1.19 in. Do I have to play with the printing percentage size in the printing settings instead?

I'm able to get the size pretty close by creating a circle at 1.19 inch, then ctrl+t and reduce from 100% to 97.5%. turns out good enough. But I still prefer using the ellipse tool in one shot. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi mrNOB2020
Photoshop is primarily a pixel based applicatoin and printers are also pixel based when printing. So to the first order you likely do not have enough pixels to resolve down to .0005 inches (or .0001) inches) out of your 1.1875 dimension

At a viewing distance of 10 inches, the human eye only resolves about 300 ppi which is about the true print density of most printers. So that is only a resolution of .0033 inches. So you are looking to print something with about 6 times more resolution then that.

On an 11 inch length of paper, if you wanted each pixel to represent .0005 inches, you would need those 11 inches be represented by 22,000 pixels. The 8.5 inches would be 17,000 pixels or 374 megapixels and for a color image of 3 bytes per image you have a base file of over a Terabyte for a single Layer file (so it goes up from there). I can't remember if CS6 supports that size of pixels yet the newer version do.

The other limit is what will Photoshop allow when entering numbers/parameters. I dont know for sure yet if entering by inches, I don't think it will retain that many digists past the decimal point. To get around this you would need to enter the value in pixels and do the conversion your self. e.g. if each pixel was .0005 inches to create a 1.1875 size you would need to use 2375 pixles. And that should work. If you need resolution down to .0001 or 1/10 thousandth of an inch you would put in 11,875 pixels for the size.

Alternatively you could do your work in a vector program such as illustrator.

Hope that gives you directions to consdier
John Wheeler

mrNOOB2020

Thanks for the tip thebestcpu.

I may have a clue what you are trying to tell me, but I may not be educated enough what you just said. However, I looked up "inches to pixel converter" on google. When I set to 300 PPI at 1.1875 inch, the pixel they gave me is 356.25 pixel. I did go into the ellipse tool on CS6 and manually entered 356.25, but they still rounded to the nearest flat number, like 356 pixel. Did I do it right or I'm not getting your concept?

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi mrNOOB2020
I think the approach you mentioned would be as accurate as it could be (down of 1/2 pixel error max)
If you wanted 1.1875 inches exactly, you result would be 356 pixels which would be exactly 356 px / 300 px per inch = 1.1866666 so only an error ~ .0009 inches. could not ask for much closer then that while using a reasonable document size of 300 ppi overall.

That is a good compromise yet still there is a burden of having to do the translation from inches to pixels and back.
Note that Photoshop will round the display of 1.1875 to 1.19 inches yet it is remembering the more accurate numbers. They just are not displayed correctly if you go back and want to know the exact number you put in.

If you are not willing to live with the type of small error, using a vector program might work.

If you did not mind a document size 10X larger (not sure its worth it), you could create the document at 1000 ppi so the 1.1875 could be entered as either 1187 or 1188 pixels depending on how you want to round. The accuracy in printing would not be a visible change yet Photoshop would display what you put in exactly in thousandths of an inch (move the decimal point three places left and its in inches of course. the downside is that this would be about 11X larger than a 300 ppi document.

I think you are on the right track with a few options to consider. Keep asking if you have more questions
John Wheeler

mrNOOB2020

I think I get what you're saying now. I might just give up on the decimals. I take don't bother using odd number size in photoshop. The decrease percentage size concept already worked out for me.

Do you have any suggested vector programs for me in my case?

..by the way, your help here is outstanding, the way your explanation is.

thebestcpu

Guru
Your welcome mrNOOB2020 for the complement.

I have only used Adobe Illustrator CS6 and the more recent versions require a subscription to which I did not subscribe (did not use it often enough). So I am not the best person to ask about Vector drawing/graphic software apps. It might be a good idea to post this as a separate question as there are many on this forum which much more experience on this topic.
Here is a link to the top Vector Graphics Software packages to get you started with the options: https://www.g2.com/categories/vector-graphics

What often helps to get the best recommendations are you specific needs (end desired product/project/ etc). The more you can describe of what your are trying to accomplish, the better the recommendations and suggested alternatives to consider (or ways to meet your needs in Photoshop).

Hope this helps getting you closer to what you need
John Wheeler

Status
Not open for further replies.