What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I achieve this effect in photoshop

emily20044

Basically I have this picture of a cardboard box, however I want to make it look like it is wet. This is for school homework and I'm not sure how do I go about achieving this effect.

The first photo is the photo of the cardboard box I want to make look wet/soaked in water.

The second photo is what I want the 1st photo to look like.

Any help would be appreciated.

blank box.jpg

2.JPG

Rich54

Guru
What is your skill level in Photoshop? I did many things—a lot of trial and error—and was able to get this.
If this close enough to the effect you're after, I can tell you what I did... if I can figure out myself what I did.

wet cardboard.jpg

emily20044

What is your skill level in Photoshop? I did many things—a lot of trial and error—and was able to get this.
If this close enough to the effect you're after, I can tell you what I did... if I can figure out myself what I did.

View attachment 137745
Im pretty new to it. Although if you could step me through it that would be amazing

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well................this would be a challenging effect to create from scratch requiring multiple steps. Maybe for a more advanced user.

The simplest way would be to just place the watered cardboard image/layer over the dry cardboard image/layer, and set it's blend mode to "Darken".
It's not an exact texture match, but it's close enough.

Screen Shot 2023-05-25 at 9.26.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-25 at 9.29.14 AM.png

Rich54

Guru
Im pretty new to it. Although if you could step me through it that would be amazing

The sample image that you provided contains white highlights from the reflections of the wettest areas. I've been struggling for years to realistically draw "wetness" containing these kinds of specular highlights, with mixed results. Sometimes I get it right, but then I can't repeat it on other images. Very frustrating, and it requires Photoshop techniques that are probably too advanced for you at the moment.

Instead, here's a much simpler way to get an effect similar to this wet box:

1685032105278.png

• Select a normal round brush
  • Set the Hardness to about 50%. Set the Flow to about 20%. Set the brush color to be the same as the dry part of the cardboard box.
  • Open a new layer and set the layer blend mode to Multiply. This blend mode will darken whatever you draw on it, while allowing the underlying texture of the cardboard to show through.
  • Paint some splotches on a dry portion of the box. The Flow setting of 20% allows you to gradually build-up the darkness as you repeatedly brush over the same area. The idea is to make some areas darker than others to simulate varying degrees of wetness.
  • Something like this:

1685033005317.png