What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Do I Change Default Save As Copy For .bmp, .png, etc. Files?

Soubriquet

I guess that this has probably been posted before (sorry), but I have been unable to locate the thread if it has.

My question is simply how do I change the default Save As Copy save type that Photoshop inflicts on you whenever you go to save files as .bmp, .png, etc. files?

I produce allot of images by first saving the original scan or photo as a .psd, manipulating the image, then saving as .jpg or .png for display purposes so having to delete the "copy" from my file names during a long work session gets very annoying.

I have already searched through the Preferences, checked registry file associations, studied the Preferences in Adobe Bridge + the only way I can see to fix this at the moment involves using a disassembler.

Any ideas?

Welcome Soubriquet 8))

I'm going to quote for you what I wrote at CGTalk about his matter:

"Photoshop will always add ?copy? if you?re saving a file with the same name in the same folder, but only when you have more than one layer and use a file format that doesn?t support multiple layers.

You can test this yourself with for example Jpeg as format. Change the format to ?TIFF? in the pull-down menu and you?ll notice that the word ?copy? will disappear again, since TIFF supports multiple layers.

The reason why so many other people never experienced this is because they mostly use (for good reasons) ?Save for Web? which not only has more options for optimization and a preview, but it also doesn?t have the ?copy? problem.

So why was it added? I think it?s because of the following. Certain formats allow you to save multiple layers, PSD is one of them. It?s also possible to save to PSD without using layers, that?s why there?s an option called layers in the ?Save As? window. Turn it off and you?ll notice when you want to save the file with the same name in the same directory that it will add ?copy? to the file name, probably as an extra protection on top of the regular ?Do you want to replace it?? window that you get when you try to save to the same file.

I think Adobe wanted to make sure that users wouldn?t overwrite huge Photoshop files with hundreds if not thousands of layers file by accident. Personally I think they?ve gone too far. Because let?s face it, in order to overwrite a layered PSD file with a version that is not layered, you have to:

a. save to the same folder
b. give the file the same name
c. unselect the ?layers? checkbox
d. ignore the ?Do you want to replace? warning window.

That we see the ?copy? behavior with Jpeg (and not only Jpeg) seems to me like a bug, since no Jpeg can ever have multiple layers.

Don't forget that some bugs take years for Adobe to solve, that is if they want to solve it. A good example is the famous "invisible cursor" on a 50% gray background, it took years before they were willing to solve it in (CS2)."

Thank-you, Gaussian. - The "Save for Web" works a treat (although not if you want .bmp files without the "as a copy") but it would definitely make more sense to simply extend the "Save As" dialogue to add in options for those wanting to optimize for web with no "as a copy" option and to make it so that you could only make changes to the existing document in the format that it was opened in and through "Save" on the File menu. - This would make it impossible to, for example, overwrite the existing open document as a .jpg if it was opened as a .psd and would remove the "copy as" annoyance.

I know what you mean about problems that take forever to fix with Adobe products, too. - One of the reasons in fact why I still like many features of Paint Shop, which I stopped using shortly after it became a Corel product due to conflicts with Photoshop files and problems with altering the cumbersome .pspimage file extension back to the more sensible original .psp causing so many other problems that it just wasn't worth the hassle of using it any more.

Soubriquet said:
I know what you mean about problems that take forever to fix with Adobe products, too.

But... there are not many things theyneed to fix, at least not for me.
The only thing they need to fix is this ugly super bug that's using more memory than Photoshop (and I'm not kidding) and which doesn't look anything like Photoshop and which they call Bridge. It's basically a poor image manager (there are several things wrong with it!) that uses even more memory and starts slower than an advanced piece of software like Cinema 4D R10. Who ever wrote that junk (and I'm talking here as someone who has been an application programmer for several years) needs to be fired immediately.

Wow, it feels good to get that off my chest! :rofl:

I usually uninstall Adobe Bridge in favour of ThumbsPlus by Cerious Software. - Last time I tried to use Bridge it kept crashing my system + giving me endless critical memory access problems, so what you said about its memory consumption would definitely explain a few things.

It does run better on with a Pentium LG775 + DDR II, though. - Allot faster, too, + a cheaper, more reliable all-round, build than the multitude of 64-bit AMD systems.

Back