What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I create this box effect?

Alistair said:
Without the win xp screensaver
I don't understand what a screensaver has to do with this Alistair, can you be more specific ;)

O, sry. gaus. I had this xp screensaver that cuts whats currently on the screen into 3d blocks, this is a screenshot. See the start bar? Is it possible to do this just with a image rather than the start bar with it, in ps? :)

Yes, you can. Turn on the grid, activate snap and take the much feared pen tool. Then just click to set points. That way you can make these shapes. On the paths palette you have an icon to turn them into selections and these you can fill with a pattern.

So create patterns like you fance, and fill the selections with them.

Yes, Erik's idea is the way to go.
My impression is that it will be very time-consuming, especially if you consider all the textures on the blocks, so don't underestimate this challenge ;)

I am still not exactly sure what your after, but I have learned one way of great a cube in ps without a lot of work. I dunno if this will help.

Got to filter>render>3D transform

Take the cube tool and draw one on the little display window.

Use the rotate button to rotate it around and voila, a 3d cube.

Sanby

That is definately going to be time-consuming Alistair.

And here's the main reason why...

It would take just a little time to create a shaded overlay image that would create the "illusion" of the image being manipulated like that... but doing it exactly like that screen saver would take a very long time because... each one of those blocks has been 'skewed' in a 3dimensional manner. The effect is very much like Escher (sp?).

You'd have to do that with every image/photo you used to make the overall effect. Using solid colours though would be much quicker/simpler.

[slick]

Back