What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how do i do this effect

rads

hi , I have been trying to do this since " days .DId radial blur , then another radial blur offset .But can't get this shading. Is it with layer styles the black shading?

in the hope of achieving the above pebble effect.I did this tut on glassy button in this very site by Mark . but i am not getting the good yellow glow inside.what did i do wrong? below is what i got. \:]

Hi rads, nice job on the tute.

In the layers you made for the tute, is your "refraction" layer set to "Overlay" or "Normal". Make sure it's on "Overlay" to create the kind of hotspot, washed out, burnt out effect you're after. [excited]

In PS5/5.5 Color Dodge used to create this effect quite well when using white. However, since PS6 Adobe has changed the effect this layer creates (much to the dismay of a lot of folks). Now, use Overlay instead. Try using any colour but white though and Color Dodge can still create this effect.

TIP: if you need the effect to be stronger, simply duplicate the "refraction" layer from the tutorial. And i you can then reduce the Opacity of the duplicate layer to reduce the effect a little from there.

thanks Mark ; I will do the tut again given ur tips.
Can u please help me on the pebble .I tried doing the pebble .but still not satisfied.This is what I got.

i want to ask u:
1) why am i not getting the nice black shading .i t seems its to do with color burn blending mode...
2)i am not getting the tri color grey stripes inside the pebble ..;;
this pebble is making me maddddddddddddddddddddddd

Do you have a bigger source photo for that object rad? I can't really see enough detail, i'm at 1024 res. And i can't make out anything specific about its look.

okay i hope this is clear..... i increased the image size..hope it didn't destroy the details.

How about making the pebble as a circular button, and then reshaping it with Transform or Liquify???

There's a good idea MsOz. :perfect:

Transform won't work, but liquify can create a very similar shape from the normal glass button effect. You have to keep in mind here too rad that the object in the photo is not a "pebble" (not even sure what you mean by that in this context?), it looks more like a candle holder or something. In which case, the approach taken here would have to come from a different angle -- which would involve some manual painting, not applying filters.

To follow with what MsOz suggested though, what you'll need to do first is group & merge your button layers. Perhaps make a duplicate of this group first as a backup.

Here's a quick try using the "Forward Warp Tool" (W key). It's the top tool in the Liquify toolbar.

If need be, you can paint in manually any extra highlights/shadows it might need. Depends on what you're going for.

thanks for ur attention and time.But the shape is not my prob (i did it from freeform pen and then adjusted the curves).what prob i am having was the shading inside .and the outside black one.

Back