What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I get the white out?

kim123

Hi All!

I'm stumped and need some help.

When I make a graphic with text on it, I start out with a transparent layer, then add a white layer so I can see what I'm doing, then I insert the text. I usually give the text a drop shadow.

Now, here's the problem. I delete the white layer before I "save it for the web." However, when it goes to save it, there is a bit of white around the text---it looks like where the drop shadow is. However, I'm trying to put the text on a colored background---and don't want that white in there.

How do I get rid of the white?

Thanks!
Kim
:)

Hi Kim,

You need to 'cheat' to make the shadow look as if it is blending into the background colour. Replace the white with the background colour you want before you flatten the image. When you place the image into the web page, the join will not be seen, and you will have a 'clean' drop shadow.

Cheers Al

And just to extend Rantin's advice...

Besides using the appropriate bg colour in your document, you can also select the "Matte" colour once you're inside the "Save for Web" dialogue window.

Make sure prior to saving that the bg layer of your image is hidden/turned off.

Then when saving, click the "Transparency" option, and on the middle-right side open the "Matte" menu and choose "Other...". Then change the colour to your page's bg colour. The 'fuzzy' outline around your text will now be that of the page's bg.

:B

Back