What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I Overlay a transparency over other layers?

AV_Editor9000

How do I overlay a shape that has a transparent background, over all below layers, so that the below layers have the area of that shape replaced with a transparency.

I am looking to have multiple layers in an image.

1.) Top Layer with a Square Transparency
2.) Background image

I want any transparency layers I created in layer 1 to also appear in all of the below layers.
I DO NOT want to have to switch to layer 2 and edit it in any way.

For example, if I create a transparent square in layer 1, I want that same transparent square to appear after I add a background image.

This way if I switch between different backgrounds that same transparent square will appear in the same spot, in the final image, regardless of which background I use in layer 2.

I need to create large numbers of backgrounds with areas of transparency and was hoping there an easy way of doing so.

Transparent Square on Layer 1

true?v=v2&px1=400.png

Layer 2 (black background) - example 1

true?v=v2&px2=400.png

Layer 2 (blue background) - example 2

true?v=v2&px3=400.png

Outcome I am looking for when using a black background

true?v=v2&px4=400.png

Outcome I am looking for when using a blue background

true?v=v2&px5=400.png

Any and all guidance is appreciated.
Thank you.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It should go without stating that you can't overlay a transparent layer over a filled layer. The end result would be a filled canvas............hence the nature of transparency............it allows THE underlying layer to show through.

You can however mask..........or make a hole in a filled layer that would allow the underlying transparent (empty) layer to be seen.

Blue layer with layer mask, transparent square.
Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 8.22.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 8.22.57 PM.png

Black layer with layer mask, transparent square.
Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 8.23.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 8.23.17 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You're very welcome from me both!

thebestcpu

Guru
I thought it would casue the start of quite a discussion between the two:
"IamSam, no IamSam........" :joy:

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @AV_Editor9000

Here is another way to do the same thing with a single Layer Mask.
You just group the Layers that you want to have transparency in the middle and apply the Layer Mask to the group as a whole.
In this first case, the background is not in the group so all Layers are bypassed to the background for the middle transparency:

Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 8.55.56 PM.jpg

If you just eliminate the background Layer the middle square stays transparent through the entire Layer Stack

Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 8.56.32 PM.jpg

Just another approach to consider
John Wheeler