What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you detect Lens distortion?

diarrhea

When you pro out here look at a photo how can you tell if it has some sort of lens distortion on it? How can you tell? What are the signs/anatomy of a lens distortion?

There are different types of distortion. Some lenses may have barrel disstortion or pincushion distortion.

Are straight lines curved, more pronounced curvature near the edges?

Are things that should be the same size not the same size in the center as they are toward the egges?

A very wide angle lens may have things at the edge smaller because they are actually further away than the center items.

Are circles true or stretched?

These are some things that come to mind, I hope it helps.

Thanks for the information. Any other posts or blogs you can recommend?

I have been searching for this information and finally found it. Thanks!

I have been searching for this information and finally found it. Thanks!

Ken Rockwell's website has tons of information and articles about lens distortion. Just google "Ken Rockwell" and you should be able to search his site for the information you need.

normally photographers use distortion charts

all lenses have some sort of distortion.
use a distortion chart like this one

here is a tutorial on how to use one

i can't use links yet

just google:

"lens distortion chart"
and
"how to use a lens distortion chart"

Fully agreed to lens distortion chart :) Iwas using it a lot along with Ken Rockwell's tips and tricks. Also, once you get familiar with how the photo should like you will notice even a tiny diffeerence in angles ex. light post to the ground, building etc. Lens Distortion filter in PS gives a great advantange

If your asking about distortion and types that would lead me to believe your just getting into advanced methods and terminology of photography. Which is a great thing but difficult to find intermediate to advanced tutorials I found. This site should help you greatly as it did and still does provide a excellent reference guide to photography as a whole.
Cambridge in Colour - Photography Tutorials & Learning Community

Fully agreed to lens distortion chart :) Iwas using it a lot along with Ken Rockwell's tips and tricks. Also, once you get familiar with how the photo should like you will notice even a tiny diffeerence in angles ex. light post to the ground, building etc. Lens Distortion filter in PS gives a great advantange

thanks for the info, i will check Ken Rockwell's website :)

Back