What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post Processing How to apply night mode effect on a photo

nipun

HI,
I want to create an effect similar to the night mode in our phones & pc.
so when it applied to the image ,it gives yellow kind of look but still color remains same.(not 100%)

So can anyone help me to get it by photoshop.
Thank you :)
here is the image that i want to add that effect.
20170917_114021050.jpg

There are different types of night mode. For me, it means a red overlay, but a google search reveals other options from a yellow overlay to just reducing screen brightness or contrast. Do you have an example of what you're aiming for?

I experimented with yellow overlays (as per your post - I didn't note that in my earlier reply) on midtones and highlights using luminosity masking. I tried wholly or partially desaturating and applying yellow overlays using 'overlay' or 'soft light' blend modes. But there's not much colour in the starting image to begin with, so whatever I did it looked yellow-ish all over.

I assume you want to turn the picture into a night scene?
As in Photoshop there are several ways to do this

Add an adjustment layer 'color lookup'
Untitled-1.jpg

Choose the 'night from day' option
Untitled-2.jpg

to illiminate the red color add an hue/saturation adjustment layer and select the 'red' colors but first drag the hue/saturation adjustment layer on top of the image layer
Untitled-3.jpg

decrease the red saturation until desired
Untitled-4.jpg

if the image isn't dark enough as you would like select master on the same hue/saturation adjustment layer and drag the light slider to the left as desired
Untitled-5.jpg

for similar effect and/or different techniques: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=photoshop+night+mode+effect

Last edited:

Back