What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to create a white wash look in PSCC

Owen Dawson

Hey Guys, Any thoughts on the process to create a look like this attached photo?
I'm not sure if this is a super lengthy process although, it's possible to run an action once it's complete to recreate the look.
Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.
whitewash.png

Color overlay.

Since I know nothing about you or your Ps experience, I'll be brief.

Barn.
Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 5.29.42 PM.png

Make a selection of everything you want to "whitewash".
Add the selection to a layer mask on the Barn layer.
Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 5.30.04 PM.png

Add a Black & White adjustment layer. Clip to the Barn layer.
Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 5.30.47 PM.png

Add a Solid Color Fill adjustment layer. Set it's blending mode to overlay. Clip to the Black & White adjustment layer and the Barn layer.
Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 5.31.07 PM.png

Everything is adjustable/editable.

Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 5.31.30 PM.png

Hi Sam,
Thanks for the info. I would say my experience is an advanced user. I use the word whitewash but I guess the look is more distress/ bleached. I don't necessarily want to take out all color.
I'll check out your technique for sure . It seems that some of these photos I'm viewing even have a cyan/magenta look to them (shabby chic look). I've been playing around with selecting channels red, blue,or green and applying that to image and deleting. this seems to give me a good starting point as it washes out the image depending on how many times I delete the channel selection from the image. I don't like that its destructive. not sure of a workaround. I don't necessarily want all the color to go away. also any thoughts on how they are creating the super contrast look. i know highpass will give me some of that look but this is much more than HP i think. I think its just a lot of trial and error for me. thanks again. Owen

a.png

As I stated, everything is editable. This is not the perfect solution, just an option worth exploring.

The solid color layer is editable so you change the color to a cyan magenta if you wish. You can also add a channel selection to either of the adjustment layers-layer masks. If you're not wanting to take the color out of the "barn", just use the layer masks with selections or the Brush Tool to allow any color back in.

Color Range selections on layers with layer mask..........etc
Quick example
Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 8.08.20 AM.png

Back