What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to create this effect on PS?

blackystrat

Hello

Photoshop newbie here. First post in this forum

How can I create such distressed colored stripes in PS? These colored lines are not straight and looks to be having a hand paint kind of effect. I know we can use distress brushes but I am curious to know how these stripes are created and how this torn effect is applied

Using PS CS5 here

Many thanks

Attachments

• grunge-stripes.png
    grunge-stripes.png
    517.6 KB · Views: 9
Hello and welcome to PSG.

I am curious to know how these stripes are created
These are just stripes created with the Pen Tool and positioned on different layers with layer masks. Grunge brushes are used on the layer masks.
Note the same grunge brush pattern on the upper ends of the yellow and green stripes.

Also note that this is probably only one or two stripes that have been duplicated, transformed, and re-positioned. The brown and yellow stripe are the same stripe just turned upside down. The orange and blue stripe are the same, one is turned around.

how this torn effect is applied
Layer masks and grunge brushes.

The black silhouette of the Martial art stance is added on the top layer.

This is a very simple effect.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 4.30.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 4.30.19 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
Thank you so much Sam. First of all, how did you find the full image? 😳

Secondly, I think the martial arts stance is actually transparent so that it fills up with the background color. How do I do that?

Thanks once again.

Thank you so much Sam. First of all, how did you find the full image? 😳

Secondly, I think the martial arts stance is actually transparent so that it fills up with the background color. How do I do that?

Thanks once again.

Nevermind, I figured it out myself

Still curious how you got the full image though :)

Thanks

Yes, I think the silhouette is employed as a layer mask to a group.

All of the stripes layers are placed into a group and the silhouette is used to create a layer mask for the group.

First of all, how did you find the full image?
I found it on the internet using an image search. Not a big secret there.

Back