What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get this transparent effect on image?

hussain

I'm huge fan mentalist and I love this poster, its simple and elegant, I'm trying to replicate the blue and transparent effect which is on right side. the face partly mixes with the white background without loosing other detail. Not sure how to do this. I tried using color range tool and selected only the mid-tones on a layer mask and then colored it with blue. It does not look good. Can any one help me on achieving this effect.

Desired effect:
Poster.jpg

This is what I tried:
MentalistPoster.jpg

This is the real image which I'm trying the effect on Actual Image

Last edited:
The effect you want is called a Duotone. What you think is "blue and transparent" is really blue and white. It only seems transparent because it's on a white background. To replicate your poster, you need a blue & white duotone and also a yellow & white duotone. For the green portion where the two overlap, a layer blend mode has been applied—probably Multiply.

Here's a good Duotone tutorial.

Hi Hussain
Here is a suggestion and example on an approach to use.
1) Take your image and delete the background
2) Duplicate the images 3 times so four total.
3) On the lower three images in the Layer Stack, attach a Gradient Map Adjustment Layer clipped to each of the lower three images
4) Double click on the gradient map and select different color gradients for each image
5) Set the Blend mode on each of the Lower 3 images to Multiply

This is a starting point and you can adjust the gradient map to taste and/or change the original starting image at the beginning to have a different tone characteristic

Hope this gets you going
John Wheeler

mentalist-w-gradient-maps.jpg

Thanks to both of you, I will try something and post it here. I didn't know that it was called duo-tone effect.

Back