What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make this B&W effect?

Rich54

Guru
Solid color Fill layer, color black, blending mode "multiply", opacity to 73%.
You can adjust opacity to suit.

@IamSam, I don't think that a blend mode of Multiply on a solid black layer actually does anything. At any opacity, there is no difference between Multiply and Normal for a solid black layer.
I initially approached this just as you suggest (i.e., a solid black layer and adjust opacity), but there were subtle differences in the midtones vs. the light tones compared to the OP's sample. That's why I switched to a Curves adjustment, so that I could apply slightly different amounts of darkening to different color ranges.

Rich

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, I figured that out. For what ever reason, I went with multiply. After I posted I was playing with other blending modes that made no difference as well. It is just black, duh. I have not started experimenting with curves yet. It's on my list.

I did try some variations of gray and got some interesting results.

#151515, Normal BM at 80%. It's only missing the original by a few points according to my info panel! Blacks are way off.
Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 9.58.08 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think you're right though, I like the idea that the Curves adj layer preserves some of the original tonal changes. Blacks are still off.

AleCl