What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to print to scale?

chloeconger

Hello fellow P-shoppers,

I am trying to put together this jewelry catalog and the printer (a new Epson C82) is printing everything aboutr 15% smaller than it measures on the screen relative to the ruler guides along the edges. :{
Can anyone please help me?

Thank you verry much
Chloe

kiwi

Guru
Hi and welcome Chloe :perfect:

First check your printers preferences to see that you have the right size entered for paper size.You should also be able to make a custom size in your Printers prefs as well.Also in PS you can check the actual size of your image or pixel width/depth by VEIW > ACTUAL PIXELS from the PS menu.Its kind of hard to diagnoze without you checking these other things first.

Stu.

MindBender

Guru
Also, make sure that when you print you haven't checkmarked the "scale to fit" button in your options.

tranquil222

Power User
and remember it wont print past the margins that your printer has, that is, it will not give you a "full bleed". it will scale down the image based on those margins, so you need to figure out how much those margins are and print accordingly. To get a full bleed for, say an 8.5 by 11 piece of paper, you need to print it out on a bigger sheet and then cut off the edges, as far as i know, no common printer prints at full bleed. An easy way to figure out your margins is from Internet Explorer(if youre a pc user). Go to File--Page setup. Then set all your top, bottom, left and right margins to zero. It will fill in the minimum margin by default.

MindBender

Guru
tranquil - it will only scale if you set the setting I was talking about, otherwise it will just cut off the parts that go outside the printable area. Also, I don't remember about other brands, but with an Epson printer, there are two settings for the margins. If you just set to zero like you're saying, it will set it to the default margins. You have to set the printing method to "maximum" to force it to go to the smaller margin size. On most Epson printers this is .12 inches on each side, which is pretty darned close to full bleed. If you want true full bleed, you would have to do what you were saying about cutting it down or go with something like a dyesub printer, which is going to run a minimum of a few hundred bucks.

hedsteve

some canon printers print full bleed I think its anything over the S500 or S600 or something. I'm sure others do too... make sure your printer can... if not go shopping or go to the print shop.

Erik

Guru
Always a problem when software claims to be intelligent...