What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to reduce a color (or fade) in image?

Dragonknigh

How do I reduce a color in a image? I have exact image as the one below but only with enhanced colors (heart, strawberry etc. are bright red while in the image below they are faded), so how do I fade color in my image to resemble the image below (Ignore the text)?

Untitled.png

JJLAPIN

Guru
Make a Layer above your Background Layer and fill it with white.
Then move the Opacity until you get your desired effect.
Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 4.21.43 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes.............Just as JJLAPIN describes..............

You have a text layer.....
Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 9.32.12 PM.png

Then you have your image layer....
Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 9.31.45 PM.png

You place a white layer between the two and reduce it's opacity to suite.
This is about 60%
Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 9.35.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 9.36.48 PM.png

The other way, which is not any better, is to add a white background layer and reduce main layers opacity to suite.
Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 9.39.04 PM.png

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Maybe I'm not understanding correctly but wouldn't it be easier to add a hue/saturation adjustment layer and decrease the saturation?

Untitled-1.jpg

If it needs to be more faded add a new layer beneath the original, fill it with the original background color, activate the top layer and reduce the opacity until desired...

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Maybe I'm not understanding correctly but wouldn't it be easier to add a hue/saturation adjustment layer and decrease the saturation?
That would be OK if you wanted to desaturate the main image which is a process of removing color. By using the the white layer above or below, your only fading the image and not affecting it's color.

Here the image on the left is faded with white layers. It retains it's original color.
The image on the right has had it color desatted using a H&S adjustment layer.
Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 8.00.47 AM.png

I guess it's all in how you interpret the original image sample the OP provided.