What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to remove a background from an image for a web page?

Plastic Guy

:) Hi to everyone. I just joined the group and look forward to absorbing information. I've been getting involed in computers more and more lately and other than my sort #$! from the crappy chair I sit in, I'm really enjoying PH7. Lots and lots to learn [stuned] ! First, I'd like to remove background from an image to be able to use just the image on my web page I'm building. I'm sure this is a basic question, but the answer will help kick start me. Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.PG

Heya Plastic Guy and welcome to the board!! :perfect: :perfect:
PS7 is without a doubt a never ending program! there is diffenitly lots to learn ;) A simple way of removing a background is using the magnetic lasso tool. If you dont already know this item is found under the lasso tool on the left side of the tools bar, second to the top. simply hold down on the lasso tool to the bottom of your three selections to find the magnetic lasso tool. now simply use this tool to surround the image. click EDIT at the top of the screen and drag down to copy. then go under EDIT once again to paste. now you should have two layers in your layers pallette(if you cannot see your layers pallette click WINDOW to show layers). now what i would do is click your bottom layer in the layers pallette and drag it to the trash can :D :D and tidaww... no more background :perfect: :perfect: there are diffenitly diffent methods to doing this but this is the method i use ;) i'd love to see ur website when ur done, be sure to post later on the board :perfect: :perfect: feel free to ask any other questions and jump into some of the tutorials and challenges here :D :D us newbies gotta look out for each other ;)

Plastic Guy, welcome to PS Gurus! And I know about crappy chairs! :D

There are many different ways of removing a background from an image, depending on the nature of the image.

First, copy your background layer and turn off the original (the bottom layer). This isn't necessary to make the selection, but it's always a good idea so you can always go back to the original.

You're really talking about selections, which is a HUGE subject. If the "background" is a solid color, this is relatively easy. You can use the Magic Wand to select the color. You may have to fool with the Wand's tolerance settings; if it's selecting too much, lower the tolerance; if too little, make it higher. Once you've got all the background color selected, hit delete.

If it's a more complex image without a clear solid color, you'll need to make a selection. Mark has a good tutorial on selections here

If you can post the image in question, we can get more specific :)

This question kind of makes me wanna put up a tute about "photo compositing"... should i?

I guess it could be focused on new users... but perhaps intermediate users might learn a couple new things also...

I'd use the effect in seen this image as the example.
It's simple, but gets the point across.
The new characteristics added to the ape were taken from a photo of my brother-in-law.

Can you see the difference? [excited]

Welcome aboard Plastic Guy! :)

Yeppers, depending on your background, there are many ways to "remove it" and you'll get as many different answers as we have members here! Everyone "develops" their own "prefered" methods, dependent again, on the selection that has to be made. Certainly, if you post the picture in question, as Julie has suggested, you'll get more "specific" replies so I, too, would suggest that you do so. ;)

Mark:This question kind of makes me wanna put up a tute about "photo compositing"... should i?
Might not be a bad idea, Mark, as this question comes up frequently! [honesty] Are you really getting enough sleep these days to do so? :p

:rofl: At quick glance it would appear that you've transplanted the hair, eyes & mouth of your bro-in-law onto "Cheetah"! :D Nice job! :perfect:

Apple good advice!!

I am now going to use it!! [excited]

theKeeper said:
This question kind of makes me wanna put up a tute about "photo compositing"... should i?

I guess it could be focused on new users... but perhaps intermediate users might learn a couple new things also...

I think that's an excellent idea, Mark! It's a big subject, and as you say both beginner and intermediate users can benefit (I certainly could!) So, a suggestion: Why not label it "Beginner to Intermediate" and post it in both sections? Make it clear what parts of the tutorial are for beginner (first parts) and intermediate (advanced compositing) so you don't have to write two tutes.

Hey ya, that's a good idea Julie.
It would increase the page/step size somewhat, but i suppose that'll also circumvent having to create supplimental material later on.

Thanks!

PS: and no, i don't really have a lot of time for this, but i can punch in-&-out on it til it's done. Shouldn't take to long. ;)

hi there and welcome !

lke ppl have been mentioning there are many ways to make a selection and deleting those backgrounds (im doing it all the time) this is probably a tricky one but i have excellent results.if the background for example is flat opaque black or what ever colour firstly select the eyedropper tool and click on the colour you want to remove,the colour you selected should now become your foreground color in your palette.

Then go to select>color range and you can play witht he fuzzinesss which is similar to playing with the tolerance levels if you where using the magic wand tool.

once selected and the image looks like the area you want removing is showing ,click ok and your selection should be there and click that delete key! :perfect: :)

im sorry if this seems really in depth seeing as your new but if you practice this method as your method..then your on a roll! :perfect:

i know that this is my personal preference and i have excellent results

and it beats squinting checking that the magnetic lasso tool is finding the edges ;)

ENJOY!! :perfect:

Geoff: haha Mark i love that effect!! :rofl: :rofl: i could do that ape thing with my sister :rofl: :rofl:
rhunt: All I have to do is take a pic of her and no editing involved. [shhh]

:shocked: You boys! It's a good thing that the 'sibs' (you speak so affectionately of) aren't members here or we'd have an "all out war" on our hands! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Welcome Plastic Guy, am sure you will enjoy your stay here.

And yes, Mark, a tutorial on photo compositing would be great, we beginners will take all we can get.

Back