What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific How to remove complex dust from a photo?

Ja14

Hello. Help me find an effective way to remove black and green dust from photos.
img012.jpg
By replacing the defective black and green pixels with the nearest good pixels to them. Thanks.

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @Ja14
Just to be clear, did you want ideas on how to do this (in which case you should post under the General Photoshop Forum) or
did you want someone to provide a rendition of you image with the dust removed?
It was not clear to me in your post
Very cute picture by the way
John Wheeler

Ja14

Hi, John Wheeler.
I wanted to ask for advice if anyone has encountered a similar problem in the image, if so, what method did he use to get rid of the dust. If someone demonstrates the result, it will be good. I have about a hundred such damaged photographs, and I propose to restore them myself if a good way is shown to me on the example of this damaged image. I need a good instruction that allows me to eliminate artifacts in the photo with minimal time. Since I am new to this forum, I may have posted my post in the wrong place. I don't mind the post being moved to the right place. Thanks.

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @Ja14
There are various paths to take yet if you want minimal work there is a plugin that does a pretty good job with setting a few sliders. It costs about $50 and is From Lasersoft imaging and is the SRDx dust and scratch remover: sRDX Dust and Scratch Remover

Here is an screen shot that I used on you image with sliders and no masking. I had to be pretty agressive as the red areas show where it is going to process your image for corrections:

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 1.40.03 PM.png

This is the resulting image after applying that one filter:

get-rid-of-black-marks-srdx.jpg

I think that is a pretty decent result for minimal work.

Now, you can do this with the Dust and Scratches Filter in PS and then mask that result with your original (a lot of hand work) so most of the image is not blurred. I also change some of the tone of the image with Adobe ACR:

get-rid-of-black-marks-additional-adjustments.jpg

I think the plugin does a better job.
To do even better, I would put you image in a Layer as a Smart Object, apply the SRDx filter and then mask the filter so the the areas with more detail that don't have the dust could show through yet that is more work.
If you have more questions on approach please feel free to ask and hope this helps
John Wheeler

Ja14

You have a pretty good result for this photo. Mine is much worse.
2_img012.jpg
Two layers, the bottom one shifted by 2 pixels, the top blending mode Lighter color - to remove black dots. Merged the layers. Using the mask with a brush, I selected the skin with Backgraund.
I applied Decompose an image into high, medium and low frequency to the skin.
John Wheeler, Thank you for sharing your approach.

Dennis1507

I have been playing with an AI application that seems to only work on the faces in pictures. This is definitely not a great picture or result, but the recovered detail I think is amazing. With a little color blending in Photoshop these girls faces could be cleaned up.

AI_image_1.jpg

Babine

Guru
I have been playing with an AI application that seems to only work on the faces in pictures. This is definitely not a great picture or result, but the recovered detail I think is amazing. With a little color blending in Photoshop these girls faces could be cleaned up.

View attachment 117109
Looks great Dennis. What AI app are you using?

Babine

Guru
Used the 'shifting of the bottom layer' as mentioned, Dust and Scratches via a mask, the healing brush and Topaz Denoise.

Spot-Removal.jpg

Dennis1507

I have been experimenting with an Android application called Remini. On some images it just works great. The noise or patterned image here seems to confuse the algorithm and screws up the skin. It has corrected several of my images that were just to out of focus to work with. I really just wanted to see what it would do with an image with lots of noise. . I was still impressed with the recovered detail in the faces.

Babine

Guru
I have been experimenting with an Android application called Remini. On some images it just works great. The noise or patterned image here seems to confuse the algorithm and screws up the skin. It has corrected several of my images that were just to out of focus to work with. I really just wanted to see what it would do with an image with lots of noise. . I was still impressed with the recovered detail in the faces.

Thank you. I'll look into that and see if it will work with Windows. Cheers.

Dennis1507

I put it on my Windows 10 PC by loading Blue Stacks which is an Android Emulator. Remini give you 3-5 images a day for free to try it out. Have fun.

Babine

Guru
Got Remini onto my PC and it does a good job with their faces. Thanks Dennis. Although it was not requested, I went a little further and played quickly with adding colour.

Spot-Removal.jpg

Ja14

I myself have not used Remini, but I saw that from bad photos it slightly distorts the look, probably due to the fact that it replaces eyes from its database and does not quite accurately get to the right place. For example, if the right eye of the right child is lucky, then the left is not.
V.jpg
I will give a photo of a child from the same period, where his face is clearly visible, as well as a poor quality photo with noises, where the look of this child is from the front.
img015.jpg
I think that after Remini, you can use your hands to correct this strange look by tucking the wrong fit of the eyes. If the conversation has shifted from artifacts to Remini for this purpose, you can check whether Remini can correctly see the eyes of a poor quality photo of the same child.

A good face photo is provided so that you can understand the correct face of the child. on bad photos it is impossible to understand. Blue Stacks was not installed on my mac, so I can't experiment with Remini yet.

Dennis, Gary, thank you for your interest in these artifact photos and how to deal with them.

Babine

Guru
Dennis1507
Thanks for pointing that out and I see the problem with this filter, on this picture anyways. I played with a few other approaches, concentrating on their eyes and faces only.

Spot-Removal-2.jpg

Dennis1507

Your additional PS edits brings a real natural look to the girls compared to the noisy original image. I retired from a company and knew several people that developed AI software for medical purposes. The developers actually considered the AI process to be "not very smart" at all. Its’ capabilities relied on having hundreds if not thousands of good images to analyze to guess the desired results. If you provide a image it has not been trained to recognize then the results are very unpredictable. AI is coming. I use PS and Luminar 4. Luminar 4 uses AI and helps provide me with a good starting point to then switch to PS for the final edits. Some day AI may make postproduction totally automatic, but likey not in my lifetime. Great discussing this interesting phone application. I am new to this site, so maybe these types of discussion should be in a different location. Have a great day.