What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to save texture

ArtmakersWorlds

Well been working on a few freebie jobs just to blow the rust off my photoshop skills. (Haven't actually used it in years now.).
Got one..... I KNOW I have done this before but for the life of me cannot remember just how.

I remember it involved saving certain channels, then apply color, re apply a given channel and that puts the texture back. Yea, something like that.
Here, I have an OLD image I did for someone using this very technique, just to show what I'm after.

REEFERS.jpg

That sign is old weathered wood and look how the flag on there lets the texture show through. That! (WOW, going back to 2006.). HOW did I DO THAT?
(I barely remember what I had for breakfast let along 2006 photoshop effects I only did that one time.).

Rich54

Guru
Here are a couple of possible answers. In the image below, I added a blue streak to the wooden sign by changing the layer blend mode to Color (on a new layer) and then simply painting blue on it. The blend mode of Color allows the underlying texture to remain. You can experiment with all the different blend modes to see what they do.

The second answer involves a somewhat advanced technique called Frequency Separation, which enables you to split an image into a texture layer and a color layer. You can then make changes to the color while preserving the texture. This technique is often used in skin retouching. Tutorial below.

REEFERS.jpg

ArtmakersWorlds

Thanks, I will go over this later on. The day I signed up on here and was getting tons of help, I also did a few freebie jobs just to get some practice, but after ALL DAY on photoshop now I have a case of bursitis in my shoulder. So until that clears up, photoshop is on hold. But I sure will look all this over, thanks.

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @ArtmakersWorlds
Hope you heal quickly. You may already know this yet spending time on the computer can cause repetitive motion injuries yet with proper ergonomics can help reduce the incidence. I had some issues decades ago and after paying attention to the ergonomics and good stretching breaks every 30 minutes greatly reduced the issues.

Lots of info on the internet yet here is just one link that may be of interest: https://uhs.umich.edu/computerergonomics

ArtmakersWorlds

Thanks and yea.... this is one of those cases where I KNEW better but did it anyway. Already had carpol tunnel once I actually took my sorry self to the doctor because my left arm went numb, though it was bad. but oddly it was my pinky and ring finger only. Could draw a line where the numbness started. Doctor knew that right off, elbow got pinched. Which by chance I had really injured when I was younger. So not a heart attack, just a pinched nerve. Ever since then I stopped leaning on elbows all together. Thankfully that one cleared up completely and never came back.
Now I don't know why (this is the third time now) my one shoulder does this. Even when it feels fine I can hear cracking in the joint so maybe it's an age related degeneration going on in there. (Did I mention how getting old sucks?) IDK. It's slowly recovering but clearly I need to limit my intense photoshop time now. Get up, stretch, walk around, move about... probably every half hour at least.
I've been propping my arm up on pillows when on the puter which helps a lot. And have an old prescription strength bottle of ibuprofen, I finally dug into that and it has been helping a ton.

anyway.... kinda went off on the wrong subject here, this will get better and I can't wait to fiddle around with this logo job again. More carefully this time.
Cheers.