What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to turn off anti alias from pen tool selection?

geffron

Hi guys, was practicing color flats and I was uisng the pentool + ctrl enter to make selections. turns out it has anti alias, thus I can't change the colors without leaving some marks. Normal selection with lasso tool works fine, but I want to use the pen tool if possible. any idea how to fix this?

error2.jpgTimtownsendflats1.jpg2.jpgerror.jpg

Hello and welcome.

The Pen Tool is a shape tool.................what gives you the idea that it has aliasing? Aliasing is the stair stepping effect, therefore anti-aliasing would be doing the opposite. Based on what I'm observing, none of your selections were made with the Pen Tool. Are you positive that you're using the Pen Tool?

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 7.19.58 PM.png

Hi Geffron
I too was confused by what you are requesting yet assuming that you are using the Pen Tool, then I am assuming that you are using Keyboard Shortcut to create a selection from the Path and not getting a hard edge.
So first, the rasterized image from which you are selecting also has anti-aliasing so not matter what selection tool you use that has to be taken into account. You may already know that since you have used the lasso tool

Where you go to turn off either the anti-aliasing and/or feathering when making a selection from a Path is by going to the Path panel, select the desired Path, and in the dropdown in the upper right select Make Selection. A dialog box opens first and you have choices there to set those options for the type of selection. Once you have set the options, you can cancel if desired because I believe those settings are them memorized so when you use Ctrl+Enter with an active Path those new options will be applied.

Again, not sure this is what you need yet that's my best guess without further information from you
John Wheeler

John, even with your idea, I'm still skeptical that the selection was created with the Pen Tool.

All examples below have the same zoom, hair/body color, and background color.

Here is the girls hair in the OP's example. Too many artifacts along the edges.
These may be caused by an underlying layer............I just don't know.
Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 10.28.09 PM.png

I quickly made a selection of her hair with the Pen Tool. Whether I made a selection with Cmd/Cntrl + Enter, or used fill path.....same results with both.
No artifacts. No aliasing until you reach high zoom levels.
Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 10.28.23 PM.png

Here is the OP' example...
Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 10.51.59 PM.png

Pen Tool....
Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 10.52.16 PM.png

Op's example
Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 8.34.55 AM.png

Pen Tool..
Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 8.35.11 AM.png

Maybe we can get the PSD file to look at.

Ahhhh.....I think I see what the problem could be maybe.

Once the selection was made, a copy via cut was used from the image.
Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 8.44.31 AM.png

Then a selection was made of that.....
Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 8.45.32 AM.png

Then it was filled with color....
Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 8.43.32 AM.png

Just trying to make sense of this one if the Pen Tool was used!

Back