What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to use Pen tool and Rounded rectangle tool combined to select multiple selection

sanshr

Hi there,

i am working to create mockup for phone covers. For this use the PEN tool to select the entire phone body and make section of it with 'path' clicked.

001a.jpg

Now second thing i am trying to do is to using the rounded rectangle tool to make a cutout of camera. but when I right click and do the make selection, the body selection just dissapear.

002a.jpg

I don't want to use the PEN Tool to create the cutout shape just to reduce the time. How can i make selection. Plz help.

RvM

Rectangular Marquee Tool works fine, select your area, then right click on your area and use option "feather".
You can adjust the radius to anything you like.

Hope this answers your question, if not please do tell so ;)

gedstar

Guru
Hi

You need to have each selection on it's own layer, first make a selection of the main body of the camera and then hit CTRL + J to copy that to a new layer then make your selection of the camera and again CTRL + J to copy that to a new layer

image4.jpg

Just read you post again, you can't use the Pen Tool and Rectangle Marquee Tool combined to make selections, you need to use them individually

Last edited:

sanshr

Hi

Thanks RVM and gedstar for your time and valuable suggestions :)

Uptill now, the method i was doing to create phone case mockup is :

1. I create a selection of whole body with pen tool.
2. then i create a layer to use as clipping mask and fill it with a random color.
3. I hide the color layer and make selection of camera and buttons in phone layer(here the benefit of using pen tool is that i can make multiple selections at the same time)
4. then i go to the path, and make it the selection
being at phone layer, CTRL+J that only has camera and button layer and move to top.

Every thing works just fine, thanks to the instructions provide by the awesome John (Fredfish) :bowdown:.

But that was pretty easy when i use an already designed or shaped phone case. Now i am using the original phone body instead, just to use the original camera lenses. Here, its a lil bit difficult to make a perfect selection of camera cutout with the pen tool, whereas rectangle marque tool can do just fine in less time.

Now what i want to achieve is to :

1. first selection of whole body (pretty ease with pen tool)
2. make selection of camera cutout individually on seperate layer (after that i would like to use layer style to use drop shadows, bevel etc)

3. make selection of buttons seperately so that the effects used for camera don't disturb to the button.

Plz guide me step by step. you can treat me like a newbie :silly: (Infact I am :cheesygrin:)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
to do is to using the rounded rectangle tool to make a cutout of camera. but when I right click and do the make selection, the body selection just dissapear.

If you have an active selection around the Phone body, then you use the Rounded Rectangle Tool ( set to path and make sure your path operations is set to "combine shapes" ), to add the camera area to the active selection, right click and bring up the menu, before you click on "make selection", hold down the alt/option + Cmd/Cntrl key, this will add the selection from the Rounded Rectangle Tool to the active selection you made with the Pen Tool.

Last edited:

sanshr

Yes i did and it works but now i could not be able to make selection for buttons even by using its own layer. As i said, I have to make selection of buttons separately as well.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes i did and it works but now i could not be able to make selection for buttons even by using its own layer. As i said, I have to make selection of buttons separately as well.
Who are you addressing with this post?

We have answered your question from your first post.

Is this what your trying to make? A template of a phone?
Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 10.22.46 PM.png

So you can make something like this?
Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 10.57.02 PM.png

Last edited:

sanshr

Sorry if i made you confused. Actually not a template but a kinda mock up by using smart objects where I can just double click on to change the image.

from this

iPhone6rosegold.jpg

To this

526.jpg

I have explained my method and what i want to achieve it in post #5

Everything is fine with the procedure i am using. Just want to know if i can use rounded rectangle tool or marque tool to successfully make selection of "camera cutouts" and "buttons" separately. Plz guide me.

thanks

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just want to know if i can use rounded rectangle tool or marque tool to successfully make selection of "camera cutouts" and "buttons" separately. Plz guide me.
I already did in post #6! Did you read it?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
By the way, you did not make me confused at all, I understand exactly what your trying to do, I just wasn't sure that you knew what you were trying to do.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

sanshr

I already did in post #6! Did you read it?

Yes i did that. Followed your each and every step but no success :( don't have clue where i am going wrong. could you plz explain how you made it?
Screen-Shot-2017-10-26-at-10.57.png

Did you use the original phone back image for this?

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Did you use the original phone back image for this?
Yes. This is a very simple process.

If your trying to create a MOCK UP that's utilizes smart objects to change the image that appears on the phone you must have a good image of the phone and you must first create a template of the back of the phone. Then you use the Phone image and that template in a new "Mock Up" document. It's two separate processes. Like Gedstar pointed out, you will need to place the selections on their own separate layers.

Here's the phone's original image.
Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 10.19.35 AM.png

I need to make a selection of the phone to remove it from it's original background.
I use the Pen Tool to make a selection. Note that I include the buttons.
Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 10.21.42 AM.png

When the selection is made I hit Cmd/Cntrl + J to copy the phone to it's own layer.
I centered the phone and gave it a new BG.
Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 10.26.09 AM.png

This is all I have for this step.
I used a Color Fill adjustment layer for the BG because I can make quick adjustments to the color if needed.
Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 10.28.14 AM.png

Turn off the BG layer and save the isolated camera as a PNG for you to use in your mock up document.
Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 10.46.37 AM.png

More to come.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Using the same document as I've been using above, I need to create the "template".

This is not a hard process. There's no need to complicate it.

Create a new layer.
Cmd/Cntrl + click the "Phone Back" layers thumbnail in the layers panel to make a selection of the phone.
Fill that selection with any color you desire because it doesn't matter.
Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 10.55.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 10.56.52 AM.png

Let's remove the buttons from the "phone back template" layer so the buttons of the phone image will show.
Select the "phone back template" layer.
Zoom in.
Use the Rectangular Marquee Selection Tool to make a selection. You can move the selection while your creating it by holding the space bar.
Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 10.59.49 AM.png

Hit delete to remove anything (buttons) within the selection. You can now see the buttons!
Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 11.00.31 AM.png

Now turn off the "phone back template layer".
Make a selection of the camera area using ANY tool you desire! I used the Rounded Rectangular Tool.
Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 11.05.25 AM.png

Turn the "phone back template" layer back on and select/highlight the layer.
Your selection will still be active on that layer.
Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 11.06.05 AM.png

Now hit delete to remove the selected area from the template.
Cmd/Cntrl + D to deselect.
Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 11.11.10 AM.png

The template is now complete.

This is all I have in the layers panel!
Quick, easy, and simple!
Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 11.11.29 AM.png

Turn off the "phone back" layer.
Turn off the BG layer.
Save the template as a PNG to be used in your "mock up" document.

Last edited:

sanshr

Great!! That's what i wanted to achieve. Thanks a lot sir for the ample time you given and detailed each and every step. osum :bowdown: