What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HTML containing table for PSD image

Delphi123

Dear friends:

Please see my site at:

http://www.immortalgems.com/

Please compare the right margins (at 1024 X 768 resolution) with the original version at:

http://www.immortalgems.com/original/index.html

I opened the original template PSD image for the home page in Photoshop 7, removed all the layers and slices that filled up the main panel, leaving everything else just as it is. I then switched to ImageReady, saved the HTML index.html file and images Optimized As and then created a site in GoLive 6 and uploaded it as is.

For purposes of comparison, I also created a site in Dreamweaver and checked it in its Preview in Browser and saw the exact same problem: if you switch your resolution to 800 X 600, everything looks perfect. However, at 1024 X 768, the right margin is white instead of being an extension of the page background and the bottom panel does not extend all the way to the right screen margin.

I've been told that I need a containing table with WIDTH=100% to contain the fixed size pixel table in order to resolve this issue.

I did a search for a tutorial on containing tables in Google. I found one at:

http://www.designplace.org/tutorials.php?page=1&c_id=5

I tried to apply it to my site. But I've obviously failed as you can see it at:

http://www.immortalgems.com/index-m.html

Please scroll down till you see the image.

I'd appreciate help on resolving this issue.

Is there a way to edit the image size in Photoshop/ImageReady to automatically generate the correct HTML page?

All my thanks.

Benjamin

I have to admit that I didn't spend too much time looking but the differences between the first two links is an image missing at the bottom right put that back in and you should have it looking relatively the same.

Your index-m link doesn't work so I can't comment on that

I do all of my templates in photoshop for all of my websites and once sliced the image is the correct size so I am not too sure what you mean by...
Is there a way to edit the image size in Photoshop/ImageReady to automatically generate the correct HTML page?
sfm

Sue's right Delphi, below is the image you need to put backinto the table layout. An it needs to be put into its own TD cell.

I suggest you use DW to edit the current table to include this extra TD cell. Then set this image to be the Background for the cell.

Dear friends:

Thanks so very much for your kind and expert help. I'll definitely pursue this matter ASAP. Right now I've a serious FTP problem on my hands. It has to do with FTP in Dreamweaver MX. I used FrontPage for about a year, then switched to GoLive 6 a few weeks ago and spent a lot of time familiarizing myself with the program. It's a great program, all right, but GoLive FTP is weak and flaky and unreliable. So, I decided to switch to Dreamweaver MX, which I purchased right after it came out but was simply not prepared for its complexity. Now that I am ready for Dreamweaver MX, I discover that their FTP is also a problem. I can connect (no problem theree), but everything else (transfer, synchronizing, etc.) fails at some point. I can get a list of files, but that's where it stops (TaskManager says: "Dreamweaver not responding"). On the other hand, my standalone FTP clients (SmartFTP and CutreFTP) transfer these very same files flawlessly. In fact, I NEVER had a single problem transferring files, etc with Front Page 2002 with FP Extensions (Publish Web). My web host says this is the nature of the beast, that programs like Dreamweaver or GoLive break the FTP protocol by imposing all sorts of demands on them that they cannot fulfill. May I ask if any of you have had the same problem with Dreamweaver's FTP?

At my wit's end.

Thank you for listening.

Benjamin

I've never used DW's ftp functions myself, sorry.
I always just edit the files on my system, then upLoad afterward using WSftp.

Honestly though... i've never understood the NEED to be editing files "live". Doesn't even make sense to me. And in fact, it takes the same amount of time to edit then upload the files as it does to use a separate ftp app.

I suugest that if you want the least headaches, just continue using DW to create/modify your pages, but use a separate ftp client to upLoad the files.

Dreamweaver FTP works -- Solution!

Dear friends:

I spoke to Dreamweaver technical support at length about
their FTP. We went through the configuration process point
by point. And we discovered the glitch. The FTP in
Dreamweaver MX 6.1 (and perhaps also in the new
Dreamweaver MX 2004) is configured by default with
Design Notes (Click on Advanced under Edit Site).
Apparently, this causes problems on some FTP sites by
trying to create a folder online and thereby crippling the
FTP. Solution: Under Design Notes, UNcheck "Maintain
Design Notes" and click on "Clean up". Also make sure
"Upload Design Notes for sharing" is also unchecked (it will
be unchecked automatically when you uncheck the first
part). That's it. All day, Dreamweaver's FTP crashed non-
stop UNTIL we unchecked this option. From that moment
on, Dreamweaver's FTP has been working fine (Task
Manager always shows that "Dreamweaver is RUNNING"
instead of "Dreamweaver is not responding" (as was the
case before.

I thought this critical detail might prove useful to others
who use Dreamweaver, and that probably means a great number of web designers.

As for Go Live 6 and their flaky FTP client, it always
connected but could not get a file listing and therefore could
not synchronize its files, etc. Whether there is a similar
issue in GoLive 6 I don't know. If I find out, I'll let you know.

Thanks again and I hope my experience will help others.

Benjamin

Dear Keeper and friends:

Please take a look at the screenshot. It includes three images that seem to fit your description in the previous post. Could you suggest which one is the right one.

Please also take a look at the table jpg image from Dreamweaver:

http://www.immortalgems.com/table.jpg

As you can see, this section of the code shows the three images in question (see above). Would appreciate a little help in editing the table. I really don't quite understand what I am supposed to do.

All my thanks.

Benjamin

I have been using GoLive 6 for about a year and have had no problem using the built in FTP engine. Read the help file to understand how to set it up properly. Takes a little time but i can't live without it now. So far the file uploads have worked great.
I have never used DW and have no experience with it's FTP program. Cannot make a comparision but am sure it is a quality program. I bought Adobe's GoLive program because I was already familar with using photoshop and am very happy with it and enjoy the integration between them.

Glad to hear you got it worked out for DW Delphi.

anepu

Dear Anepu:

Thanks for writing. The FTP problem in GoLive 6 may be related to the FTP problem I had with Dreamweaver MX. And then again it may not. At any rate, you've got two great suites, the Adobe suite and the Macromedia suite. It's nice to have a choice.

Benjamin

Hey Benjamin tried to look with the link you provided but I guess by now you have taken it down........ it seems these days that I only get in here every couple of days - well this time it has been a week hasn't it ;\

Like Mark I don't use the Dreamweaver ftp I actually use cuteftp :D works fine for me through the network :perfect:
sfm

Dear SFM:

Thanks for writing. I appreciate your interest. I have removed the earlier images. I'm going back to the original and try to work strictly within the framework of the original template. I lack the experience to be able to modify it substantially. I guess even an experienced designer would have a hard time doing this with the complex layout of this excellent template.

Benjamin

Back