What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need some help with character spacing (as in letters)

namvet

Power User
The pic below is a section of a business card I am doing for my mechanic (yes, silly me said ?I can do that? ? must repeat 100 times before I go to bed tonight ?I am retired, I am retired, I am retired ?..?
The problems are highlighted in the pic
Background info on the pic below is as follows:-
The font used for the words ?performance enhancing? was Haettenschweiler (which came with PS7) ?. And I used the warp text tool (settings ? rise, horizontal, bend +15, horizontal and vertical distortion = 0) ?. Just read that last bit and this post may have to have an xxx rating
:rofl: :rofl: I have tried the character spacing (next to the warp text tool ? top menu bar ? pic below includes screen grab of the settings in the character spacing menu) - and it does fix the spacing between the errant N and H ? but, it pushes the other letters apart as well, both when the word is highlighted and when only a letter is highlighted ? tried putting the ?cursor? in between the letters but no spacing adjustment is allowed ? so now I need some help/advice
PS the jaggies are ok ?cos you are seeing the pic at 100% ? the image reduces to 48% for business card size and the test print is nice and clean :)

Did you try to highlight both the letters at each side of the spacing you want to change and then set the "AV with horizontal arrows" to a negative (closer) or positive (wider) value?
Of course, the total length of the word will change, but when you look closely, you'll see that all spacings stay the same except for the one in between the two selected letters.

Hope this is what you need...

I agree... highlight only the letters you want to space. No other will move -- even if they "appear" to.
If you feel there's too much space between some letters, and too little between others... you'll simply have to space each separately; until they're as even as you want. There's no one quick function that can fix them all at once.

As for the yellow in the window... sorry... you'll have to remove that and redo the highlights if'n ya wants ta keep 'em. :B
Best method would be to draw the new ones over the existing ones first (new layer of course!), then set to removing the yellow areas. :perfect:

thanks for that Erik ... I keep moving them around and they still don't quite look right ... I reckon one more 'Bundy' (Aussie rum) and a few more moves and I might have it right :D
Mark (theKeeper) .. I appreciate your reply .. actually, at a point of extreme frustration with the font spacing, I opened the 'car' layer then a new layer on top and 'picked' the blue from the background and then brushed the blue into the 'clear' parts of the windows ... then lowered the opacity of the brushed layer to 80% ... the highlights are slightly dimmed and the windows are a tad mottled but it doesn't show up when printed :) ... styles, eh, will have a look at that :D

Good job Namvet... but don't forget to also remove the yellow seen along the top back edge of the car's roof. ;)

thanks Mark (theKeeper) .. I had noticed the yellow reflection from the wall that was behind the car, but I had got sooo tired from shifting fonts around I just haven't had the energy to fix it :rofl: :rofl: ... well that's my excuse [sly] :D
ljiljana thanks for that link, I had a quick look and it looks very useful (I've just realised I can get a pic of my ute, trick it up using those tutorials and the 'old' ute will look really swish!! ... and at no cost :D ) ... will have a good look at the link after I've checked out the posts at PSG .. again, thanks :D

namvet, you welcome.I was searching for tut for reflection and get to this site.So I saved it for you. I am glad that it is usful for your project. :D

Back