What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think I'm lacking the "pen-tool gene"

neolite

Is it just me, or is the pen tool incredibly hard to work with? (Please don't answer if it will hurt my feelings) :(|

I feel like I'm missing something. With all of the great features Photoshop has to offer - it is nearly impossible to draw a nice wavy line without a PHD. Working with the pen tool is like signing your name while looking in a mirror.

Phewwww....had to vent! Now, back to work.

Working with the pen tool is like signing your name while looking in a mirror.
:rofl:

Welcome to the world of VECTOR graphics where shapes are created with anchor points connected by lines (called paths). It's a different way of thinking if you're used to making swooshes (hey, I like that word) in Photoshop which is a RASTER based program. Some quick differences:

Raster
- usually scans or photographs - smooth transitions of color
- resolution dependant, DPI (Dots Per Inch)

Vector
- paths, points, and lines
- resolution independant (can resize all you want)

Shapes are created by using paths (open, closed, or compound). Properties can be applied to these paths by using fills, gradients, strokes, etc.

As far as using the Pen Tool in PS.. hmm, I'm probably the worst one to ask since I do pen work in Illustrator. I don't think the terminology is exactly the same. Hopefully this sheds some light on the subject though. B7

I love the pen tool! It really isn't terribly hard to work with, you just have to adjust your thinking. The best advice I can give you is to learn the hotkeys and shortcuts that pertain to the pen tool. It will make your work so much easier. I think Lily's links will get you started, but from there try tracing some photographs. Not of people, thats quite tedious, but of random objects. Coke cans, speakers, street signs, etc. Anyway, good luck and have fun.

(this is the same response I wrote to you in another thread, where you asked basically the same question .....)

Hi Neo,

I found this great web site where you can download PDF practice templates for drawing with the Pen Tool. You can open these in Photoshop and use them to practice drawing curves and such.

Check them out here (at the bottom of the page): http://www.sketchpad.net/drawing8.htm

They are organized into the different drawing programs, but you can check out the ones under "Photoshop 5" - these will work for any version of Photoshop you have, since they are merely templates that you practice "tracing" over with the Pen Tool.

These are really helpful, Neo. I have all of these and I use them a lot to keep my own "pen-drawing" skills up to date.

Always there to catch me, huh?

I wasn't asking a question this time...I was just venting.

Thanks Doug. I have been working with the tutorials you originally posted. I was just frustrated.

Thanks.

Ok, no problem-O .........

Agent Smith: Goodbye, Mr. Anderson.

Neo: My name.......is NEO!

your quote.

Agent Smith: Goodbye, Mr. Anderson.

Neo: My name.......is NEO!

I can't tell you how long I have been waiting for the right moment to use that quote. I can't believe you stole my thunder.

That's it, I'm switching my screen name back to Strawberry Shortcake. I don't care what everyone says - I thinks it's butch! ;)

That's it, I'm switching my screen name back to Strawberry Shortcake. I don't care what everyone says - I thinks it's butch!

I get the mental picture of a biker dude wearing a pretty calico dress with strawberry patch accents.... AAAAAH! GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!!

:D

Neo,

The pen tool is frustrating at first because it is bass ackwards from normal drawing. However there is a certain point, after considerable practice, for most people, when everything just clicks and you can draw merrily away with one hand on the keyboard for the modifying keys and one hand on the mouse or Wacom. You will get to a point where you can draw almost as fast as a freehand pencil with the great benefit that your work is infinitely adjustable after the fact....with no eraser required.

Hang in there...the light bulb will go off.[/u]

So well said Welles, I have been struggling with the pen tool for some time also. I don't spend enough time with it so it hasn't clicked yet. But you're right cause every now and then I get it and I really love that tool.

Anyway I just wanted to put in my 27 cents worth. I'm at work and it really sucks, you made me laugh.....(bass ackwords)

Rich

A lot of talk has been going on here lately about the Pen Tool, so I thought I would post this link, from one of my all-time favorite and informative web sites, Gurus Network:

http://www.gurusnetwork.com/tutorials/photoshop/pen1intro.html

Might seem a little long but I suggest you read it if you're serious about learning and using the Pen Tool. Remember, compared to practice and patience, everything else is just fast food.

Back