What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image resize action

seth

Hi all

I am trying to use the batch command in photoshop 6 to run an action which resizes and saves tiff files as jpegs. I have successfully created an action which will resize the resolution of the image to 72 dpi. The trouble is I need something intelligent to work out which is the greater (width or height) of the image so one or the other dimension (whatever is the greater) can be resized to a specified size. This would allow me to resize image width or heights according to their dimensions and with no user interaction. As it stands the batch process runs the action ok.

Please help me if you can.

Regards Seth

:(

Welcome aboard seth! You got me scratching my head on this one... so I'll leave it up to somebody who better understands your dilemma. Not to worry... it won't be long before a solution comes your way! :D You've reached out to a great community of very helpful PSers here! :D

You are welcome, But, don't leave this place, there is a lot to learn/share, too!!!!

sPECtre said:
I think it will involve scripting... not plain old actions... if no one here can help you, there is a Adobe user-to-user forum dedicated to photoshop scripting at : http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13@188.Hbo7aqsxqY8.0@.ef7f2cb

And... WELCOME!!!

Thanks Pierre

The page your link directs me to is for photoshop 7 but I am using photoshop 6 which apparently does not use scripting but conventional programming such as visual basic and C+.

Thanks anyhow though

seth [stuned]

Yes, sorry to make you drool for nothing..., I didn't mention that...
Wait for Chrismas, then...

Use this in your Action:

File > Automate > Fit Image

That command will "Constrain Within". So, if you use the dimensions 500x500, then the bigger dimension of your target pic will be brought down to 500 and the lesser will be less than 500.

Works for me. Should work just fine for you.

Ahhh... Stroker, you truly deserve the title of Life Saver!
The loud noise you just heard is a self slapping of the front head...
but I just hope it is not 7 specific

Stroker said:
Use this in your Action:

File > Automate > Fit Image

That command will "Constrain Within". So, if you use the dimensions 500x500, then the bigger dimension of your target pic will be brought down to 500 and the lesser will be less than 500.

Works for me. Should work just fine for you.

Stroker

You are the main man of the Coliseum......and thee websites a refreshing d'lite too

seth

[excited]

Welcome, Seth!

As you can see already, no matter what the question is, someone will have an answer! Poke around the forums and have fun.

Seth, please indulge me for a moment or two.
Please expound on your comment about my site?
"refreshing d'lite" -- what do you like about it?
Just curious.

BTW, you caught me in a good mood. Otherwise, earlier, I would have just said "File > Automate > Fit Image" and left it at that. I'm notorious for being a little too concise.

welcome aboard Seth
thanks gaus for the answer I saw this last night (thread) but being so tired I just couldn't think let alone say anything guess my work load is catching up with me :{
sfm

Back