What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iris

Sean

Guru
Here's an iris I've been working on and perfecting for a while, so tell me what you think. :D

jonbalza

The iris itself looks great!

I'd just ditch the lens flare and maybe make the eyeball more towards the white/pink end of things instead of grey like you have it.

Sean

Guru
Yeah, the lens flare does look cheezy, but I just can't seem to get a good reflection in. [oops]

Raven

Power User
The iris looks great -- yeah, maybe try something different for the reflection (maybe even one sorta like the window/car one that was in the other eyeball, that sort of idea could work out well with such a closeup of an eye since one almost expects to see another image reflected within one this size. It's coming along great! :perfect:

Red Rooster

the iris is great :perfect: but the lens flare looks like it could be turned down }:\ that might help with the chezzyness

Sean

Guru
Ok, I did the rest of the eye, put some little vains in, and got rid of the flare. I just can't seem to put in a good reflection. Around the white part was easy, I just put a reflection to an overlay and presto! But with the iris it just looks weird. Real reflections seem to leave light parts or sources and leave out the dark parts, but when I use screen it becomes washed out. I really need help on this guys. [sleepy]
http://img69.echo.cx/my.php?image=eyeneedhelp0da.jpg

fotobill

Maybe it would help to think of the shape of the lens which is in front of the iris. The current version seems a little bit like a disk with rolled edges rather than the shape of a lens. I also think the pupil should have sharp edges to indicate that it is a hole in the iris.
You are doing an amazing job on it.

Red Rooster

looks good :} only problem that I see maybe someone else has noticed it but the pupil looks like there is a point in it

ricib

that's my exact eye color. Very nice work young'un.

If I'd had Photoshop, heck, if I'd had computers back when I was your age, I might could do something almost as good as that by now. :perfect:

Raven

Power User
:) This is just for a general idea for something to try. I'm sure you can improvise and come up with exactly what you want. Find or spherize/distort an image you could use within the reflection. Here I just grabbed part of an image I'd created and just used the globe which I copied and pasted into a layer. I removed the color/desaturate and used pin light mode on it. The opacity around 52%. Using transform and rotate I shifted the globe around and put it over where you have the light shining on the eyeball. On another layer I painted a white spot, made another new layer and painted another white spot over that using the #300 airbrush at 332 px size and 73%.

Maybe something along these lines might help. Giving the reflection image a distorted curve helps also give the lens area the look of curvature. If the eyeball was surrounded by eyelids and eyelashes over hanging it providing additional shadows from these it would give even more depth and realism. Using a sharper reflection image than what I have here will make the lens look shinier...just experiment. This is just an idea. Hope this helps some. It's looking great! :perfect:

Doc

p?tr??k,

That reflection you're trying to capture is the 'catchlight' that is what gives eyes their life. The reflection can be from a window, a lamp or a photographers flash just to mention a few.

Here's a site that gives some good examples of how those catchlights appear.
http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/cg_main.asp?cmd=display&seed_id=14032

It's amazing how different a subject would look if those catchlights were not present.

Raven

Power User
:perfect: Exactly = "catchlights" = great link Doc! That's the idea, just find the right image to use and convert it with a bit of distortion on the shape to suite and remove some of the color and opacity and it will work.

Give it a try too, Red Rooster --- find a pic of a window or something to use. ;)

Sean

Guru
Sweet, thanks doc, I'm trying that out right now.! :D 8))

Sean

Guru
Ok, I found a good pic of a siloquet, but I'm still trying to find a suitible "catchlight" for the eye. The siloquet is to close up to be a catchlight.

Doc

Actually, that's not bad at all. Catchlights are just a reflection of the light source so in your case, the light is from a window in front of the subject and pretty close. Remember, you're showing the entire eye up very close. Try looking at it in a more natural perspective.

(pardon the poorly...and hastily done masking...and the left eye should be more to the left)

eye.gif

Red Rooster

nice doc :} I like pics that are all black&white but with one or 2 things colored.