What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a way to magic erase/get transparent background for an entire photo?

shoelace

The problem: I have a drawing of a symbol in jpg format that I would like to have a transparent background on. The drawing is in blue colour, but the background is all white. The symbol have a lot of "holes" in it, so it would take forever to magic erase each "hole" so the white background becomes transparent.

The question: Is there a way for me to magic erase the entire photo without magic erasing all of the holes 1 by 1?

Ok, I tried with background eraser tool and that did the trick, but is that the only way of doing so? Is there a way to do that with 1-click, or? Sorry for the noob questions here...

Let's say you start with something like this and you want to erase all the black holes.

1709065702681.png

Activate the Magic Wand tool.
Make sure to un-check the box that says "Contiguous"
Click the Magic Wand carefully onto one of the black holes. You should get a selection of all the holes, like this:

1709065921394.png

Press the Delete key to delete the holes, leaving transparency.
Alternatively, if you wanted to keep the holes and delete the brown color. Go to Select>Inverse and then press Delete.

Let's say you start with something like this and you want to erase all the black holes.

View attachment 143093

Activate the Magic Wand tool.
Make sure to un-check the box that says "Contiguous"
Click the Magic Wand carefully onto one of the black holes. You should get a selection of all the holes, like this:

View attachment 143094

Press the Delete key to delete the holes, leaving transparency.
Alternatively, if you wanted to keep the holes and delete the brown color. Go to Select>Inverse and then press Delete.
Yep, that was it. Thank you so much for bothering to help a newbie. :) Thread solved.

Back