What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Just a simple braces removal

Cosapimineria

Hello guys.
I need your help! Just want to remove the braces from teeth of this couple.

They will be very appreciated.
XoxoIMG_20190716_163056789.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As this is not just a simple edit, this would be a great edit for practice. I hope to see others jump in with their versions. I myself was halfway through and I ran out of time. I will complete the edit and post later.
Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 9.11.33 AM.png

JeffK

Guru
Took up the challenge as an exercise - took a lot of patience! Remove the braces, removed the glare from her lens, filled in the hot spot on his nose. Did a minor color correction.
How's this one work?
- Jeff

bracce removal edited.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
@JeffK

The edit to her teeth looks good with exception to the color, they are a bit grey to me. The color difference of the last tooth on our left is in high contrast compared to the rest of her teeth.

His teeth are missing the upper lip shadow as well as the upper gum line is too hard, it needs to be softened. His teeth coloration also appears to be too grey.

JeffK

Guru
OK - gave it one more try and taking above comments into consideration. @Argos and @IamSam - if you can, please let me know your technique. I tried cloning and healing but ended up painting the braces out. Trying to get the gray out but end of flattening the teeth. Every day is a school day!
- Jeff

bracce removal edited TEST 2.jpg

Argos

Guru
The problem with this kind of jobs is that you have to consider the different tones of color and light when painting teeth, I didn't have a lot of time so I use the cloning tool but being careful at the end trying to recreate light, tones etc so t didn't look too painted, this jobs are more suited for people who can draw, because they have better knowledge of light/shadow, different tonalities of white (this case), etc.. that's why the unfinished job of Sam looks so awesome ;).

If you have little practice in that area and you cant still do this type of jobs, you can search for a similar image of teeth/mouth and try to blend the texture of those teeth to these ones, that's an easy way to look more realistic/natural.

Argos

Guru
I made a visual example using your first try, and tried to recreate texture, tones, light, and shadow, I did only two teeth because it's a lot of work XD

bracce removal editedf.jpg

JeffK

Guru
@Argos - I truly appreciate the extra time you put in for me and I completely agree with your comments above. There is an "artistic" element to retouching - and I only put quotes on artistic since no one is able to clearly define it. In this case, it's being aware of the subtleties of what you're working on and not just an awareness what is needed. In the world of print production where I worked, there was a term that was used by printers who tried to push badly finished work to their clients - "commercially acceptable". It's actually a legal term meaning that it would be something any reasonable man or woman would accept. Unfortunately, if you used that excuse, you may sell the job but lose the client. Life is in the details I say - and even in the digital world. :)

- Jeff