What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keep pen lines straight?

James Pyle

This is a really basic and stupid problem I am having.

I am drawing shapes (complex shapes) with the pen tool. Usually toward then end when I reconnect I end up with a vertical or horizontal line that is not full straight (as in only completely vertical or horizontal, no angle).

I know you can hold SHIFT to make lines straight while drawing but at the very end when making that last point before the last point if that one is not in the right spot that last line will be slightly off. Is there a shortcut key to force a selected line to "go straight" ?

Usually I just select one of the points and move it with arrows keys until it is lined up, but trying to look at the visual guides and when there is no long a tiered or non straight piece is very difficult. There must be an easier way?

Thanks in advance.

Oh also, I know one solution is making guidelines to make sure end points are clicked in the exact right spot, I do that as well but am looking for some kind of solution outside of that method if there is one :)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Interesting.....

I can make a perfectly square box with the pen tool without known point...............however, the last node/point has to be guessed.

Is this similar to what your asking about???

Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 2.52.47 PM.png

As you stated, I can drag in a guideline and also hold shift to complete the square box.
Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 2.54.57 PM.png

But..........as of yet.......I have not found a way to do what you're asking about.

Still checking.

James Pyle

Yes exactly. I usually put a guide down then my last point will snap but sometimes I forget, and these are very complex shapes so trying to line things up is sometimes wonky :)

I don't even notice it until later when I print my design and am cutting out halves and realize they have some non vertical lines. It's minor issue but was just wondering :) Thanks for the reply. I will keep using guides meanwhile.