What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Layers to files

JillK

Hi - I'm brand new to this forum and somewhat also to Photohop so, in advance, let me ask that you please forgive the cluelessness. I took a series of photos of the recent lunar eclipse, brought them into Photoshop, and based on advice from a how-to video, highlighted all the files, went to 'File, Scrips, Load files into Stack' so that I could stack the layers and align each phase of the lunar eclipse to the same location on each canvas. After managing to do that, all of the moons are in the same spot, but I was left with blank areas at the outer edges of some of the layers what moved up for proper moon alignment.

My question is - to get rid of the blank areas on the canvas, I thought I should create a solid black layer to fill in the missing black areas, but can I then save each layer and the background black layer as separate files for each of my photos? I hope I explained that clearly enough for someone to be able to help. Thanks!

Hi JillK
Assuming you added a black background Layer underneath all your other Layers in the Layers Panel, then all you have to do is leave the black Layer turned on (eye icon on left side of Layer in the Layer Panel) and turn off the eye icon on all other moon Layers except for one. Save that to the file format and name you desire, go back and turn off the moon Layer and turn another on and repeat the Save process. This could be automated yet if the number of Layers is a reasonable number, then just doing this manually should do just fine.
Hope this gives you a direction to consider and hope this helps.
John Wheeler

Hi JillK
Assuming you added a black background Layer underneath all your other Layers in the Layers Panel, then all you have to do is leave the black Layer turned on (eye icon on left side of Layer in the Layer Panel) and turn off the eye icon on all other moon Layers except for one. Save that to the file format and name you desire, go back and turn off the moon Layer and turn another on and repeat the Save process. This could be automated yet if the number of Layers is a reasonable number, then just doing this manually should do just fine.
Hope this gives you a direction to consider and hope this helps.
John Wheeler

Hi John - if that works, I'll let you know. Thanks so much for the clear reply. I feel like a fish out of water in Photoshop!
jill

Back