What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a tutorial on this effect (or similar)

kerosity

I'm in love the the smokey/wavy light effect that's on these two pages:

dota2.com/international/compendium/
dota2.com/international/mainevent/watch/

(sorry I can't post the actual links, since I'm new to the forum)

I've been trying to look around for some tutorials to learn how to do it, so I can implement it in my own way in a few designs, but I'm having trouble describing it and finding the right tutorials.

I'm in love the the smokey/wavy light effect that's on these two pages:

dota2.com/international/compendium/
dota2.com/international/mainevent/watch/

(sorry I can't post the actual links, since I'm new to the forum)

I've been trying to look around for some tutorials to learn how to do it, so I can implement it in my own way in a few designs, but I'm having trouble describing it and finding the right tutorials.

These look like they've been put through a fractal plugin or program, something that's generally hard to do in photoshop.

there's a program called 'Fyre' <- direct download of windows installer. it makes the same fractal shapes and you can manipulate it in many ways. just be aware that it can pull a lot of processing power. i used to use it a lot in my early days.

With Fyre, you just play around with the numbers and colors until you are happy, leave it an hour or two gain some quality (the longer you leave it, the higher the quality) and then export it to a Photoshop compatible file, then play around with it there, simples!

however if you don't want to install any programs, there's a Photoshop plugin by Richard Rosenman that creates the same effects and can be easily manipulated. add a few filters to the effect you create and there you go.

his freeware directory is below. the Lorenz and Peter de Jong attractor should be similar to what you are looking for, they are very versatile and easy to pick up on. i use these plugins on a regular basis.
http://www.richardrosenman.com/software/downloads/

@Ibclare

First image:
bg_01x.jpg

;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the screenshot and the response (sorry I didn't post one!)

Fyre looks pretty cool! I'm having trouble manipulating it though... are there guides/tutorials out there? From looking around Youtube/Google I haven't really found anything.

Thanks for the screenshot, sorry I didn't post one.

I was messing around with fyre and it's a really cool program! But I'm having trouble manipulating it... Couldn't find any guides/tutorials for it on youtube or google.

Since you said fractals though, I went on a searchnig craze and found a ton of tutorials and brushes... but while messing with them it seems like their design is more intentional then using a random brush.

It looks like something they are doing with the pen tool or something along those lines.

Sorry for the double post... and now this post. lol. I didn't know there was a moderation for replies... so I posted my reply again. I also can't find an edit button, to remove my duplicate post.

The second reply is more relevant though because I did research in between postings.

Hi kerosity, everything I could find says this "particle effect" was made in After Effects.

Dota2_Particles_TI3.jpg

That is nearly perfect! It looks like they did that and just played with the coloring afterwards?

Great find.... looks like I need to figure out after effects a little. =O

Thanks for the screenshot, sorry I didn't post one.

I was messing around with fyre and it's a really cool program! But I'm having trouble manipulating it... Couldn't find any guides/tutorials for it on youtube or google.

Since you said fractals though, I went on a searchnig craze and found a ton of tutorials and brushes... but while messing with them it seems like their design is more intentional then using a random brush.

It looks like something they are doing with the pen tool or something along those lines.

Fyre is quite odd to get to grips with, but in the left hand side, there is a section called "computation" you you can press and hold the spinner buttons on A,B,C,D and the shape will begin to change.

the artists have have used a single fractal and repeated it around the image in various sizes and strenghts, the Richard Rosenman filter is more easy to use, as it uses sliders instead of spinner buttons. but have a play around and see what you get ;)

@IamSam I've been looking around and I don't see any tutorials for particle effects, could you link me to something?

-edit- To be clear: I've found particle effect tutorials, but none that are similar to this.

Last edited:

Back