What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking to buy a printer..

Nobady

But what to get? I had access to some really really nice Epson printers while in school, so I do love Epson, but the ink is the tricky part (expensive!). And well because the school printers were Epson I unfortunately already have a good bit of Epson paper. Hmm.

However I'm open to suggestions. Looking to spend under $500 and I need to be able to print at minimum 11x17.

Any suggestions?

Looks like Epson would be the logical choice for you. What's the big hang up on decision?

EPSON - hands down.

I know your on a $500 budget, but look into the R2000 or 3000 model (under 600 in US) which is a wide format (A3+) printer. Wide format may come in handy in your design work. I use an R2000 for about 2 years and prints are beautiful - a guaranteed client stunner. I expect to be using this for another 8 years ... lol ... like my previous Stylus (1520?). The R model doesn't scan. Don't get an all in one printer (but that's just me).

I have a Canon Pixma Pro 100 and absolutely love it. It's an 8 color printer and prints 13 x 19 prints. The ink cost for a 11 x 14 print is $1.68. I buy Red River papers and like them also, especially their Aurora Natural 100% cotton. Coincidentally it is $1.38 per 13x19 sheet. I buy the 13x38 sheets and cut them as I need it(landed cost). You can buy this printer for less than $500.00. Amazon has it for $328.78. The ink set that comes with it is a full set of inks and not a starter set like some of these guys rip you off with. Using Red River papers, they have profiles for all their papers for most printers. Hope this helps you, although it may serve to confuse you.:lol:

Last edited:
Nah I got most of that http://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/members/alb68.htmlALB68. But it's not the paper cost I'm worried about it's the ink cost. As is we have a tiny little Canon that does do some good prints, but it wasn't designed for that and it's ancient.

As for the hold up, I'm very indecisive lol. It took me 3 months to decide on a laptop, I settled for an Asus which was way outside mybudget, so I need to be more careful. Really I just need it to pay off! I got a new laptop to work on my photography now I need a printer so I can sell prints doh!

And rightfully so. Do you know what the ink cost per print is for the Epsons? I figure my cost with the Canon to be $3.00 for ink and paper for a 13x19 print. Your going to find most of them to be within pennies of one another and unless you are printing lots of volume its a moot point.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I chuckle, as I recently read a business page praising HP for the way they took and packaged an inexpensive product (ink) marked it up UNREAL levels and reaped HUGE profits...this does make total sense,paper costs are fixed, so the other cost is ink....the specs are out there, and a quick google will tell you cost per print / sheet I just picked up a Brother 3 in 1 (cheap) for the house...I was quite surprised of the print quality as the ink is quite cheap...like me!

Back