What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost Tutorial...Displacement Map - Text on Face

Welles

Guru
I'm sure I linked from it here but can't find the one particular tutorial again. It showed how to conform text on a human face using displacement maps and was a particularly good tute. Someone I know needs that exact effect and I can't find the tute again. I've done considerable searching but can't find the link again.

Does anyone remember? It wasn't long ago... 8}

Thanks, Lily

I found that one in my search. The exact tutorial had text rather than a flag. I've sent off the flag one as that was the closest I could come, too, in my search of PSG Forums.

As I remember, the link I'm trying to find wasn't specifically mentioned but was on a site which was mentioned here and I found it while rummaging around the site looking at all the tutorials.

Drat...I've looked through all my PS Tutorial bookmarks, searched Google sites extensively, and extensively here. Maybe I'll have to give up! :(|

Welles , don`t give up I am going to make one for you and if you like it I will put step by step. i do know to do this. :)

Lily,

Actually, I know how to do it too. I was trying to answer someone else's question without going to a great deal of work (I just don't have time) and I remembered that someone had already created exactly the tutorial he needed.

That being said, it might be a useful tutorial to have in the Tutorial section here at PSG.

Welles, I already did it and here it is:

1> Open image that you would like to put text on.
2> Make a copy go to Image>Adjustments> Desature and apply Gaussin blur ( values depend on the size of the image)
3> Save D Map as PSD file

4. Make a new layer and type the text
5> Go to Distort >Displacement> ( values depend on the size of the image) and use the DMap that you made.

Displacement text I change bland mode to Soft light.
Here is a quick one:

Image size is 285X400 ( Gaussina blur 2,9 and Displacement> Horizontal 10 and vertical 10)

It's been a very long time since I last did something with the displace filter.

I remember that basically it comes down to this:

1/ You use a simple greyscale image: pure white goes up-left, pure black goes down-right and medium grey does nothing.

2/ You use an rgb file:
-fill the Blue channel with white as it is ignored. Red and Green have to do the job.
-white goes up-left
-Magenta goes down-left
-Cyan goes up-right
-Blue goes down-right

You can also offset the red and blue channels for a stronger effect.

Good one and thanks, Lily.

Thank you, too, Al. (I'd actually found that one with a Google search which I'd run prior to posting.)

Thanks for the memories, Erik. ;) That simplifies it.

In my searching for the elusive web tutorial which initiated this thread, I realized my own knowledge of the displace filter was rudimentary and needed work. Two sites in particular were inspirational. Strangely, they both related to my two favorite Avatars which I've seen here, Wendy's and Markzebra's. When I have time to learn and create something myself, I think I'll start a Displace Campfire thread.

Here are the two sites which I found so inspirational...

http://www.gurusnetwork.com/tutorials/photoshop/displace1.html

http://members.aol.com/markzebra/displace/

Cheers!

Welles, you are welcome.

Those are the best sites for displacement tutorials, and Strokers site , which is not up anymore :( .

Tech-Slop is up, but there will be a server name change in a few days. After that happens, I will post a link to several mirrors.

Personally, I can't stand Lily's approach. Not you in particular, Lily, but the technique itself.
Attached is a quick dohicky.
I'll do something a bit more proper later.

Stroker

Personally, I can't stand Lily's approach

I understand, it is a beginner aproach. I am looking forward for your proper version.

Glad that Tech-Slop is up!

Back