What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LOTR Eye

Bobzworld

Power User
hi everyone :)

in the movie Lord Of The Rings there is a big firey orange eye that the evil wizard is connectecd with tha they show off an on, i'd like to make something like that then put it in a sky with an orange glow around it.

any suggestions how i should go about this?

Sanby

Power User
pdog, I think you've misunderstood. that is the image from the movie, he wants to recreate this.

There are plenty of glass sphere tutorials around, pick up one of them and apply some layer styles afterwards, like inner and outer glow. I think that might help as a start.

Sanby

wbiss

Guru
G

Bobzworld, just draw what you see.

I made that comment to another member too some weeks ago; he didn't understand me then, until he discovered what I meant. It's all about what you see. Photoshop is not only about how to use the tools, it's also about training your eyes. Just give it a try; try to copy what you see.

Bobzworld

Power User
thanks wbiss, i'll check out :)

Gaussian, because of my disability i'm unable to draw freehand
thanks tho.

wbiss

Guru
Bobzworld, I note that the link that I pointed to you IS NOT a tutorial, but rather a 'challenge'. Sorry about that! [innocent] I know that there are quite a few tutes on how to do eyes on the net... let me know if you have trouble finding what you want and I'd be more than happy to gather a few up for you! ;)

G

Bobzworld said:
Gaussian, because of my disability i'm unable to draw freehand
Sorry Bob, I wasn't talking about drawing freehand, I was only mentioning how the eye can help you to draw.

Look at this link:

http://www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/nf/index.htm

This is all done in Xara X, a vector program. Nothing is done freehand, I mean freehand in the sense of painting or drawing with a real pen/brush.
All these examples are done by addingsingle objects, a shadow, a highlight, a closed shape, etc.

Sanby

Power User
Great link gaus. That Cadillac is pretty incredible.

Sanby

Erik

Guru
here's a zipped iris I made. Although I had to make it very small (the upload limit of 150k can sometimes be a real nuisance), it'll make clear that it is something quite complicated.

Yet: have fun, like I did.

wbiss

Guru
Great link Gauss! ;) [stuned] It just amazes me what people are making with Xara X!!!

:D I'm so glad that you posted your iris again, Erik! :perfect: It's a great example for anyone to study who wishes to create an eye in PS! [shhh] and as I lost your original file when my computer crashed last fall, I've grabbed it again as a "reference"... ;\

G

Yes, that's a good example Erik. :perfect:
It really shows well how we can "draw" something by combining all kind of different elements, in a way like it's done in vector programs.