What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mac Question

Randy

Why do the majority of Photoshop tutorials, either book or Web, use the Mac instead of PC for illustration/demonstration purposes?
Thanks

Design and print etc is where a large portion of the Mac user base hails from Randy,so you will often see that in screen shots for that reason.Other then that I have no idea :)

Stu.

Most books nowadays are "bilingual". Yet up to, say Photoshop 4, mac was the better platform for using Photoshop. This was mainly due to Microsoft comps being DOS-based, and used in offices, and mac having a graphic interface from the start, and thus being used for DTP.
This situation has gradually changed, and nowadays, two third of Photoshop packages are sold for Windows based comps.

When I reply here on the board, I tend to be Windows, not because it's better, but because it's the platform I use. Julie is more mac for the same, yet opposite, reason.
And more and more people are seeing that the difference between the two are like the differences between British and American. So more and more books, magazines and fori are bilingual.

If you get a mac tut, you have Command instead of control, and an Alt and an Apple button. Often, the Apple is used for shortcuts like Apple+I for info (changing names etc), Apple+Q to quit etc. But the app functions identical. You got two cards with your PS: one with Win shortcuts, and one with mac ones. Here you find all you need. (yet we know since 68 that the real answer is Love)

What you may not do on the mac is double click on the desktop because instead of opening a file, it closes the application.
What mac has as big advantage is the option to give your folders different colours. VERY handy for chaos creatures like me. Unfortunately, Win2K doesn't have these.

Erik said:
What you may not do on the mac is double click on the desktop because instead of opening a file, it closes the application.

Gotta take issue with this one, Erik :) My desktop unfortunately is a mass of junk...projects I'm working on, stuff I've "temporarily" put on the desktop and forgot to put away. Double-clicking on a file acts exactly the same as double-clicking anywhere else.

The real difference here is, if you double-click on a file that's created by an open application, the app simply comes to the front. It doesn't open the app a second time. (First time that happened to me in Windows I freaked out...I didn't think it was possible for an app to open twice!)

AppleCider said:
The real difference here is, if you double-click on a file that's created by an open application, the app simply comes to the front. It doesn't open the app a second time. (First time that happened to me in Windows I freaked out...I didn't think it was possible for an app to open twice!)
That's only in some cases and it all depends on the application. I have a few shortcuts on my desktop that point to Word documents. I can open both and Word is only opened once. One might think that Word is opened twice, because the OS shows two icons on the taskbar. A quick look with the task manager (ctrl+shift+escape) shows that this is not the case, but if you click on two shortcuts for a .txt document, then you will notice that a program like Notepad is opened twice. Does it make sense?
No to be honest [confused] :D

It was not what I meant, Julie. Sorry for my chaotic sentences, but after all, English is only my third language.

What I meant and mean is that when I have Photoshop open on my Win comp, I can double click on the empty workspace of PS to get the open document dialog box, Alt+double click to get the Open As dialog, Ctrl+double click to get the New Doc dialog, and Alt+ double click to open the Browser. If I do that on the mac (OS9), PS simply closes because on the mac no app can or may take over the desktop space. Hey: no critique meant on your pet, ok? :rofl: Remember: lawyers and bannisters, and the song: "everything you can do, I can do better...no you can't, yes I can, ..." ;) I confess to be jealous on those coloured folder icons... [slick]

:shocked: I never knew that Erik, about these clicks in the empty workspace...what a timesaver! :perfect:

::laughing:: No, Erik, I didn't take it as a criticism of the Mac. I was only trying to correct what I thought was a misperception, but I see what you mean now.

Back